Cams

lewis

Right Im trying to fiqure what cams we should use on the car.

Does any one have any experience with brands or are they all generally ok to use?

My initial reaction is to go with tomei cams but after reading articles brian crower cams seem ok.

cheers in advance :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

JWT has two different sets of cams -- mild and not so mild. I've got the mild set, and they do help performance without having really wild lope at idle. Recommend changing out your valve springs as well when you add the cams.

Camshaft design and selection is absolutely crucial.

Most people get tempted into choosing too much duration on the mistaken assumption that "more is better".

Generally speaking, longer duration camshafts reduce the dynamic compression ratio leading to less torque and power unless the static c/r is raised to compensate. Another aspect for consideration when using longer duration cams to gain higher rpm, is that of the ability of the engine to breathe efficiently and hold together at that speed. The point is that to make full use of aftermarket camshafts generally requires additional supportive hardware.

The primary considerations should - be what other supporting engine modifications have you done or are prepared to do, and what torque delivery characteristics are you hoping to achieve?

Please PM me if you need any specific help.

Mark :)

Most people get tempted into choosing too much duration on the mistaken assumption that "more is better".

Generally speaking, longer duration camshafts reduce the dynamic compression ratio leading to less torque and power unless the static c/r is raised to compensate. Another aspect for consideration when using longer duration cams to gain higher rpm, is that of the ability of the engine to breathe efficiently and hold together at that speed. The point is that to make full use of aftermarket camshafts generally requires additional supportive hardware.

The primary considerations should - be what other supporting engine modifications have you done or are prepared to do, and what torque delivery characteristics are you hoping to achieve?

That's what I would've said anyway. :wacko::huh:

Good points, which all explain why I actually went to aftermarket cams -- more air (and fuel) in and more air out. In an FI application, swapping cams is a good thing (duration and lift increased). In an NA application, you may very well reduce performance.

Good points, which all explain why I actually went to aftermarket cams -- more air (and fuel) in and more air out. In an FI application, swapping cams is a good thing (duration and lift increased). In an NA application, you may very well reduce performance.

Changing cams is not necessarily a bad thing in N/A or F/I forms. In fact it can be a very good thing when done correctly.

My point is that it is important to have a depth of understanding of what needs to be done in order to make it successful. Choosing the correct components to suit the desired outcome is crucial to prevent disappointment.

We have considerable amount of knowledge and experience in this area and will be happy to advise anone that needs it.