WRC Tech get 15 BHP Extra !

WRC Tech

Not sure if this is the correct part of the forum for this but I am sure a moderator will move if if needed ?

We have just finished our first Unichip remap on a 350Z.Nat Asp car. The car was a std UK "55" reg convertible. The owner had fitted decat pipes and an induction [HKS]

It produced 286 BHP when it came in and it left with 301 BHP. It also gained 18 lb-ft of torque.

Most of the gain was over 5000 rpm but it is a huge increase on any N/A car.

This is £650 + vat but if we get 5 to sign up we could offer you guys a Group Buy at £525+ vat on this.

It takes us an afternoon and should provide 12 -15 BHP for most cars.

We have Dyno Graphs to support

Cheers

Allan

WRC Tech

08709-911797

I have to say I am very interested in this. I doubt I will ever go the forced induction route, as I've never really modified a car before. I reckon an exhaust, cats, and some sort of chip will probably be my limit performance wise, and it will probably be some time before I am serious about doing any of those either..

I like my warranty! LOL

It would be nice to get some feedback from the owner on this mod. Most gains being above 5000 rpm suggests there would probably not be much noticable benefit under normal driving conditions, and at best this is 5% - which is less than claimed for both JWT pop-charger and Nismo exhaust. I already have both of these and really can't tell any difference from stock.

My other car is a Revo chipped Leon Cupra, which gives extra 40bhp min (over 20%) and therefore does give a massive difference in the feel of the car.

Just my thoughts, but I would doubt there would be much noticable difference in a NA engine remap - I mean what can you do apart from adjust the ignition timing? I hope I can be proved wrong, but don't get your hopes up that you will get a big transformation. The JWT pop-charger claims around 12bhp and costs under £100 btw.

Yorky the issues with ALL bolt on mods is that the ECU learns them after a while, compensating and nullifying any gains. There has been a wealth of discussion about how the Z ECU works, on the US boards.

That's why any ECU solution that bypasses the ECU in these cases is so beneficial.

The issue of which of these might be the best for your current and future plans, is a different story :)

and at best this is 5% - which is less than claimed for both JWT pop-charger and Nismo exhaust.

My other car is a Revo chipped Leon Cupra, which gives extra 40bhp min (over 20%) and therefore does give a massive difference in the feel of the car.

The JWT pop-charger claims around 12bhp and costs under £100 btw.

Yorkie

Many thanks for your input. We at WRC are not "claiming anything" we can actually demonstrate the gains, this is further backed up by our standard practise of " If it does not demonstrate the promised gains on our dyno, we will remove the parts and no charge will be levied"

WRC Technologies' sister company Weltmeister is a Revo agent and both of our companies have extensive experience of ECU reprogramming on forced induction applications. On FI engines the gains can be huge, sadly NA engines do not offer the same improvements for a similar financial outlay.

We could "claim" astronomic performance improvements like some do but when it came time to back it up, we would be found lacking !

It all comes down to choice. If you have added any "performance parts" and they have not impacted significantly on the AFR, therefore requiring a remap, it would be safe to assume they are providing no gains over the standard parts and you have wasted your money !

Best Regards

Allan

Its the new unit with the compatible plugs. So real easy to remove for servicing/warranty ??

It's not really "plug n play" per se' as we would only sell it as an install mapped live time to each individual car. Mapping done on our rolling road by ourselves, not a hired mapper.

Allan

Now this is interesting. If it can be removed to return the car to stock, then it could certainly entice many people who want to play, but dont want to lose their warranty.

Not that I would condone cheating, or fraudulent warranty claims, but lets be honest - having a mod that can be removed without trace will certainly be attractive to a large section of the market.

Allan,

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear - I'm not disputing that you can get 15 bhp extra out of the engine, just wondering if that really makes a noticable difference on a car that already has nearly 280.

Also regarding the learning capabilities of the ECU, I thought that mainly referred to changing fuel octane ratings and the engine adjusting to suit, not the ECU detecting a different exhaust and winding back the power to stock :wacko:

Guest prescience

Quite honestly it will make very little difference. You might get a smidgeon more power due to the slightly increased octane content which will help the burn in the cylinder 9will burn more slowly) and very fractionally improve cooling at the piston boundary (this is where higher octane helps).

Where you are perhaps slightly confused is that if for example, you switch to 95 fuel, the engine may detect detonation (knock) since the burn will occur more quickly and technically the wavefront proceeds more rapidly across the cylinder (I won't go into any more detail than that).

However, the knock detector (basically a tiny microphone set-up to detect knock frequencies) will now kick in and the ECU will retard the timing to eliminate knock.

When you put some better fuel in, the ECU will eventually dial back-in to normal but you could do a reset at that point if you wished - but you'd have had to have known you were in knock.

Ta, Thanks for that. Ill not lose any sleep over it. Besides, there is only a couple of places in chesterfield to buy 97 Ron, and Optimax is only available at one garage on the outskirts. So Ill stick to BP and my Sainsburys points..

Slightly back on topic, if this chip is a custom remap, and detachable - how would it cope if the ECU was reset, or the ECU switched from normal to agressive - or limp mode etc?

As it is a piggyback would the ECU changing from one mode to another raise any issues with the chip?

On a side note, I dont think the power would be all that noticeable, but I do feel a little upset that we cant have 300bhp (unless you have a GT4) Its just tweaking that little extra out of it to get the pub bragging figures.

Id like to be able to say my car has 300hp, as it just sounds better than 280.. :blush:

Guest prescience
Slightly back on topic, if this chip is a custom remap, and detachable - how would it cope if the ECU was reset, or the ECU switched from normal to agressive - or limp mode etc?

As it is a piggyback would the ECU changing from one mode to another raise any issues with the chip?

That's a fair question add needs WRC-tech to answer since it will depend on whether the chip is adjusting fuel, timing or both - there is always an amount of guesswork about what the ECU is actually doing with a piggyback.

On a side note, I dont think the power would be all that noticeable, but I do feel a little upset that we cant have 300bhp (unless you have a GT4) Its just tweaking that little extra out of it to get the pub bragging figures.

Id like to be able to say my car has 300hp, as it just sounds better than 280.. :blush:

You should remember that torque is force (i.e your acceleration) and power is work (i.e. how hard you are working and time (RPM) based). If you simply raised the RPMs and the engine could produce the same torque (force) at that higher RPM, hey presto you would have more power but would not be able to accelerate any faster.

Torque is for driving, power is for selling (bragging :lol:)

Guest prescience
I know - thats why I like my Golf TDI, as it has more torque than a Boxter S!

I just like the sound of 300BHP. :teeth:

True for peak torque perhaps, but I suspect the torque band is a bit peaky and it falls off rather quickly with RPMs ;)

Now I for one would be interested in a re-map, of whatever sorts, i.e. like from WRC (I almost bought an STI and had planned to take it there, but style got the better of me!!) especially one that is tailored to my car and the upgrades I have already made, in my case the exhaust and filter.

But there seems to be the thought/idea that the car’s ECU effectively changes the re-map back to standard, therefore wasting money and time.

I obviously do not know either way, but surely this needs to be resolved before I and others pay what is quite a few quid for a re-map for it to be put back to standard within a short time.

I’ve had re-maps of all sorts in the past on NA and FI cars and have been happy with them all, none have been over-ridden by the car’s ECU, but obviously I am not an expert and have no real knowledge yet of the Z.

Please advise.

Thanks.