Fraserburgh snow chains/socks or not?

fellsteruk

Hi all,

Off to Fraserburgh in a couple of weeks and looking at the slops in that area they already have snow so my question is do you recon I will need or should go with chains or socks just in case?

There is three of use so the zed will sit this one out :(

^^ No idea which is better.

My mate has used snow chains for years when he's been abroad skiing and he doubts that anything other than snow chains would be any good in the Alps. I think snow socks are more for lighter conditions & to get you out of trouble rather than continuous usage. :thumbs:

Found this quote online from someone who has used both if this helps;

i used both when i lived in France (Val d'isere, Tignes), the socks were much quicker to put on and gave you good grip in shallow and fresh snow, they have a carpet like texture that sticks to the snow/ice, however they were very easy to hole when there was no snow on the road, i.e.in a tunnel, pot hole, however unless you have ripped them all the way across they will still work. they are however not very good if you need to get up anything steep, they do seem to slip, especially if there was ice underneath. a good set of snow tyres is just as effective as the socks to be honest and give you pretty much as much grip as you would need. the chains whilst a hassle to put on, (gets easier with practice and make sure you know how to put them on before you go out, it's very cold otherwise trying to learn in a dark layby) and will get you up anything and as long as you drive sensibly. when on tarmac they will be fine at slow speeds just don't turn to quickly.

if you are going to be driving regularly in a lot of snow chains win, with snow tyres or socks for occasional usage in lighter non steep conditions.

hope that helps