N/A & FI UTEC benefits (split from UTEC thread)

laguna seca

not trying to pi$$ on you fireworks.but don't you think that spending nearly a grand on a n/a car is a waste of money,there is no way you will feel the benefits of 10 bhp. would it not be better investing the cash in a s/c or turbo kit.sure it's more money but so are the results...... :thumbs:

Guest prescience

How many people spend that sort of money on an exhaust and say hi-flow cats - quite a few. That gives NO proven gains.

This will give proven gains and you never need another EMS for the car whichever route you ultimately go ans can always be tuned to maximise those gains

I would say to do TT properly is in the region of £12k and you are talking about a completely different performance option. Here you get 12Hp (minimum) for about £700 and pro-rata for £10k TT you'd be expecting about 460Hp in all - so on that basis, a good investment

I have exhaust, cats, plenum, and intake. cars with this sort of mods in the US and already a technosquare reflash have seen + 13-15 WHP.

Moreover, on a n/a car which will eventually go FI, it's just a small step towards it

If you read the links provided, you might have realised that when eventually I want to go FI, I'll just need to re-tune. And yes, at the moment, all FI systems come with some sort of piggyback ems, such as the unichip used by APS. Thing is, they are not as good as the UTEC... Plus, doing it this way, you can just get yourself a Tuner version of the kit you want and save money that way...

Oh and £685 is closer to £500 than £1000...

what makes you think utec is better than unichip for a aps tt. utec is the new kid on the block and it's from the usa and we all know what they are like for inflating figures.a bit like there egos! as for the comment on spending money on a exhaust, at least it gives a pleasing sound for the money.at the end of the day it's your money do what you want with it. but don't come away expecting to much cause it it going to happen on an N/A

Z.i wish you the best of luck. save your money and go tt .. :yahoo:

what makes you think utec is better than unichip for a aps tt. utec is the new kid on the block and it's from the usa and we all know what they are like for inflating figures.a bit like there egos! as for the comment on spending money on a exhaust, at least it gives a pleasing sound for the money.at the end of the day it's your money do what you want with it. but don't come away expecting to much cause it it going to happen on an N/A

Z.i wish you the best of luck. save your money and go tt .. :yahoo:

because many more tuners with more experience on the Z than anyone in the Uk proved it. Also, I don't want to keep repeating myself. Do you actually know what the unichip does? did you read my first post? I suggest you re-read it. Anyway, we are still waiting for your pics of the TT z ;)

lmao it's like saying APS is australian so the kit is shite lmao. Blinkered views, remind me of someone ;)

just done a few calculations utec 12bhp gain = £58 per bhp

TT 180 bhp gain £47 per bhp

ooooooo 180bhp now to the wheels! (the 12hp of the Unichip is whp on an already reflashed Z, gains from any UK z which are all non reflashed will be higher) wow that's a very powerful TT :lol: especially considering that in the UK there's not 1 single built Z apart from the custom job @ Sumo...

somehow I keep thinking you sound like someone who's annoyed as their owner'sclub has never been doing anything like this before.... :yawn:

keep your knickers on no need for the bitchyness 180 was at the fly wheel.if you want to kid yourself you will feel the results with this mod so be it.

bit like buying a x3 but wanting a x5

no need to feel anything, you probably don't know but to TUNE the utec, you need a dyno. with a dyno you get DYNO graphs. With dyno graphs you post it on here. When you post it on here, laguna seca eats his hat ;)

in fact.......

you might want to go have a chat to Adam or Kwame @ Z1, see what they think of your comments.... surely experienced US tuners are less experienced than you

extract from the links you didn't bother reading :lol:

remember these numbers are from cars who have already an ECU reflash, NA modded cars without it will see more gains

"Baselines were done around 10:30 AM - weather stayed the same all day. After a lot of car talk, lunch, and a couple other cars visiting the dyno too, we wrapped up around 6 PM.

As a point of reference this is a brand new Dynojet machine (4WD model) - a bone stock STi runs 222 whp on this dyno.

Not sure how well these will scan, so if it's difficult to read, here are how the numbers worked out

Baseline (mods listed above and AAM flashed ecu): 242.34 whp, 236/16 ft/lbs

zUTEC Tuned: 254.84 whp, 241.26 ft lbs. These are SAE Corrected #'s.

Uncorrected: basline of 249.55 whp, 243.19 ft/lbs

zUTEC Tuned: 261.81 whp, 247.86 ft/lbs

The biggest difference from looking at the charts is clear though. After tuning, there are no spots in the rev range where we made less whp or less torque. The most prolific gains are up top, where the car needs it most.

So, what are my impressions? Very simple. There is no better bang for the buck mod than a UTEC, and IMHO, it should be the basis on which your future mods are executed. Whether you go NA or FI, nitrous, or not, a UTEC should be part of the equation. Thisis one of those mods that serves as the foundation for whatever your future Z plans hold. I am so excited now to finally get these heads/cams/headers on the car with the new clutch/flywheel"

LINK to one of many threads...

http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161922[/b]

DYno charts...

Guest prescience

I think he is entitled to his point of view which is at odds with everyone else who has any real knowledge and has tuned the Z (sharif, phunk, westpak, z1, matt@cprace, mrc etc) in NA or FI form :)

Be interesting to see the results from the UTEC, does look like an excellent system.

The unichip certainly does the business for my car, but if i were to get a tuner kit, I'd look at something like the UTEC, definitely.

It will be interesting to see the N/A gains. Im sceptical about the figures the guys in the US post. Their WHP figures seem to equate to our flywheel figures. People with the APS kit for example just cannot be running say 50WHP over what we get over here at the same boost level, it aint possible.

The dyno will reveal all, I suppose.

Adam's from Z1 performance on my question about gains on stock na cars:

"yes, there would certainly be gains to be had on a stock car as well...how much, will certainly vary car to car. Furthermore, it would serve as the basis for future mods.

Just an anecdotal example. With my mods (intake exhaust, cats, y pipe, pulley), I had my car flashed. Got about 12 whp and around 11 ft lbs, as well as smoothing out the curve. Car ran that way for 2 years, then we installed the UTEC - got the additional gains you see above. While that does not mean you will get 24 whp and 20 ft lbs, you will get gains

adam"

Consider this:

The Z comes stock with 3 ECU maps:

-limp mode

-normal

-aggressive

When the aggressive kicks in, you can definitely feel a difference.

The UTEC essentially lets you run an "aggressive" mode all the time and gives you full control over the engine.

The UTEC also has some safety measure that I dont believe other EMUs have. It detects engine knock and pulls timing to prevent engine damage immediately. I have experienced this first hand. It feel liks someone hits the brakes.

Around my area, there are no Unichip tuners, so the UTEC is a great choice. It is hands down better than the other EMUs that come with most of the FI kits.