Will semi-metalic pads wear out my disks very quickly?

rickya

As per title, any ideas. Obviously they will wear out faster than softer pads but anyone had experience on the rate at which they will wear out disks? Its just that I am fitting my EBC redstuffs on Friday & was just wondering whether disk life will now be a lot shorter.

As per title, any ideas. Obviously they will wear out faster than softer pads but anyone had experience on the rate at which they will wear out disks? Its just that I am fitting my EBC redstuffs on Friday & was just wondering whether disk life will now be a lot shorter.

Short answer is yes. Performance pads achieve a better braking performance at the cost of disks. You must remember that disks are also consumables, but with normal pads the life is considerably longer than with performance pads. Ferro Carbon Pads tend to be the most agreesive on disks, so I assume you have these. I use Ferrodo DS3000's on the Cossie and the are very agressive but not Ferro Carbon's. DS3000's are supposed to eat the disks and someone told me to expect 3 track days, but so far done over twice that and the disks are still looking OK.

I would expect disks to last OK with most pads on the road, just a shortening of normal life. Most disks do last for up to 60k miles anyway and then it's usually only the fonts that go first.