CAT5 - Home network... what is the point?

WINKJ

You should have an extension from your main Openreach point to the one upstairs bud. Easiest way to tell is to take the front play off and if there's a set of wires connected to it (the front plate that is) the you have it extended to your other socket :)

• Like 1

It's all linked, so anything can plug in anywhere. My BT hub has one cable that goes to a switch behind the TV, that has 360/PS3/AVR/RPi plugged into it, and one cable goes out of that upstairs to another switch that has the PC and NAS plugged into it.

Great, thanks guys. Just drawing it all out now I have this input. I am not going to be gaming online so will use HDMI to cat5 connectors for the video/audio.

Would it be possible to use a switch to feed multiple devices to multiple tv's. For example, if I have a video/Audio image for PC and Xbox converted to run over cat5 pluged Into a switch. Which then goes off to the lounge and bedroom, can I see my pcscreen in both the bedroom and lounge once I convert the image back to HDMI from cat 5 and into the tv.

Not sure if I switch can be used for audio/video over cat5 in the same way it can for Internet

CAT5 Won't act as Monitor cable. It's just a network lead that spreads your internet around your house.

For example, you if you play the movie on your PC it wont just appear on your TV.

http://xbmc.org/

That there is the client you install on your PC, acts as a server, you point it to your files (Movies etc /my documents / movies )

The best way to describe it is to say my setup.

-I Have my BT Homebub that connects to my PC.

-I then have a Little Android Media Centre next to my downstairs TV. (I don't have a DLNA TV) This is plugged into the TV with a HDMI lead.

-The box can run off WIFI or CAT5 (Ethernet)

-I downloaded that software onto the PC, pointed to the direction of my movies.

-Then on the Media Box, I downloaded the same client. Then with a little setting up, I can point it to my network (Anything on the CAT5) and allow access to my PC's folders (The the client on the PC is pointing to)

-Then on my TV I can choose through a list of movies to play.

Now essentially, If I was to setup that box to each TV in the house, I'd be able to choose from a different film on each TV at the same time. (I've not done it, but there is no reason why not)

With the DLNA Supported TV's i'm afraid I've not played with one, so I can't tell you how to get them pointing to your PC's folders.

Hope this helps.

DNLA or SMART TVs run exactly the same way except no need for the extra box obviously.

My Samsung is easy, as long as it is connected to the same network the network is visible on the TV ie pictures, music or video. Although I have an Apple TV anyway :p

Sent from the golf club...

thanks for all of this info guys... looking into all of the reccomendations.

I've run Cat6 cables to every room in my house when I was decorating last year ... and have been using it to stream HD video...

All the cables are wired up to a Gigabit switch in the loft, which in turn is wired to my router and a NAS drive.

:thumbs:

How have you managed to run the video over cat-6. using the adapters on either end?

When I bought my flat I found a blanking plate (like you'd get over an unsued plug spocket) that had 8 cat 5 cables stuck behind it, I thought I'd make the most of it and do something cool electronically with the place... unfortunately I looked behind every other blanking plate, plug socket etc in the house and couldn't find the other ends of the cables! WTF!?!

How have you managed to run the video over cat-6. using the adapters on either end?

I'm using a WDTV Live in the rooms to access the Multimedia on the NAS drive ...

I use a Himedia HD600B, it's not the best but fairly cheap and works as a full DLNA media renderer so I can control my music/video using my iPad as a fancy remote control.