Offset: +30mm

Weight: 23.26lbs

Tire: 225/50/17

Rear

Size: 17x8.0

Offset: +33mm

Weight: 24.14lbs

Tire: 235/50/17

Searching for 235/50/17 tyres isn't turning up many results on ebay yet (still early i suppose) but there are loads of 225/50/17

I know that the thought process is that you shouldn't run 225/50/17 on all 4 corners as you may experience increased oversteer. Unless that doesn't matter so much on a winter set up given the more careful nature of driving during the conditions???

My question is this.

What if I ran 215/55/17 Front and 225/55/17 on rear?

Will they fit results

Front: http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=225&aspect=50&diameter=17&wheelwidth=7.5&offset=30&width2=215&aspect2=55&diameter2=17&wheelwidth2=7.5&offset2=30&Submit=Submit

Rear: http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=235&aspect=50&diameter=17&wheelwidth=8&offset=30&width2=225&aspect2=55&diameter2=17&wheelwidth2=8&offset2=30&Submit=Submit

In my mind this would work and the extra ride height would aid clearing snow and debris with the front lip

I'd be interested in your thoughts, especially on this following idea:

What is worse; a) running 225/50/17 on all 4 corners but of the same rubber B) Running correct sized tyres but 2 different manufacturers (matching tyres on each axle)

Notice I said what is worse....I know there is the obvious answer to what is best which is to have matching tyres, I was just curious!

How much did you spend on your winter tyres then out of curiosity?

I tend to have an aversion to buying brand new tyes after a stint many years ago where in the space of 4 months i lost 3 tyres that could not be repaired. After that I vowed not to buy brand spankers again.

I also love a bargain!

Best I have ever done is 4 x Dunlop SP winter sport tyres with 5mm on each for my Wife's passat for £31 and £25 for VW steel wheels for her to run them on.