Stiff clutch and Gearbox

Whazza22

Hey,

Just bought Keyser's old Zed and found the clutch is really stiff with a low bite and the gears and stiff aswell. Keyser agrees its stiff and wasn't like it when it owned it.

I believe it has been fitted with a JWT lightweight flywheel and clutch. Would this have anything to do with it?

Clutch or gearbox on way out? Or something as simply as loosening clutch cable?

Thanks

It sounds like the clutch pedal was adjusted and may not have been adjusted back after the new clutch...... Have a look at the clutch pedal adjusting thread, then have a look at how much thread is showing through the retainer.... Your symptoms are just like i had so i had to adjust mine back to only 2 threads showing after the clutch and flywheel were changed out.

Or it could be something completely different......But hopefully not.....

It sounds like the clutch pedal was adjusted and may not have been adjusted back after the new clutch...... Have a look at the clutch pedal adjusting thread, then have a look at how much thread is showing through the retainer.... Your symptoms are just like i had so i had to adjust mine back to only 2 threads showing after the clutch and flywheel were changed out.

Or it could be something completely different......But hopefully not.....

Cheers, easy enough to do?

Did you have both symptoms?

yes...both symptoms..... it felt like the clutch was in limbo....stiff peddle from trying to over pressurise because the master cylinder was not being released fully ... and stiff gear change due to the clutch not disengageing.......

Mine refused to go into any gear until i wound it back out........i used to have 4/5 threads showing before clutch change which brought it just level with brake peddle

I had to go on my back with a torch to see up through the peddle assy.... there is a thread on the US forum where you can remove the foot rest and the side panel and get direct access that way....but dont know if it is same for RH models....

Good luck and hope it is this......

yes...both symptoms..... it felt like the clutch was in limbo....stiff peddle from trying to over pressurise because the master cylinder was not being released fully ... and stiff gear change due to the clutch not disengageing.......

Mine refused to go into any gear until i wound it back out........i used to have 4/5 threads showing before clutch change which brought it just level with brake peddle

I had to go on my back with a torch to see up through the peddle assy.... there is a thread on the US forum where you can remove the foot rest and the side panel and get direct access that way....but dont know if it is same for RH models....

Good luck and hope it is this......

Nice one!

Exactly the same and makes perfect sense!

Will have a go weekend ;)

Much appreciated ðŸ‘

You could go a bit more...but just a little...i would leave at least 1.5 threads showing...

Check to make sure the peddle is returning the full distance to the top switch....

If the peddle had been adjusted a lot it would have left a big gap on this sensor to the peddle stop so they may have added a spacer onto the peddle to take up that gap........this now might be stopping the peddle full return, so there still might be a bit of pressure on the master ....

Or it may be that the spring is not returning it fully..... try using your to to pull back after a change to see if it moves.....

You could go a bit more...but just a little...i would leave at least 1.5 threads showing...

Check to make sure the peddle is returning the full distance to the top switch....

If the peddle had been adjusted a lot it would have left a big gap on this sensor to the peddle stop so they may have added a spacer onto the peddle to take up that gap........this now might be stopping the peddle full return, so there still might be a bit of pressure on the master ....

Or it may be that the spring is not returning it fully..... try using your to to pull back after a change to see if it moves.....

Cheers pal.

Will give that a bash! Is it possibly that air is in the system?

I honestly could not say about the air in the system and what effects that would have as i have not encountered that situaton....but i would have thought it would have went spongy and a bit easier to push the peddle.

Maybe worth having a look at the slave cylinder and the fork and get someone to operate the clutch to see if it looks a smooth enough operation ( could there be too much fluid in the res )... maybe slave is kaput or not fitted correctly ( although only an idgit could put it on wrong )......Have they put a non standard fork back on....or the fork has come off the ball inside the bell housing.....

Master cylinders do go......but not that common i dont think......

If nothing that has been mentioned before is the cause and Assuming that the clutch has been put together correctly,Unfortunately it may be time to get your hands dirty or arrange a garage visit unless anybody else can help.......

I honestly could not say about the air in the system and what effects that would have as i have not encountered that situaton....but i would have thought it would have went spongy and a bit easier to push the peddle.

Maybe worth having a look at the slave cylinder and the fork and get someone to operate the clutch to see if it looks a smooth enough operation ( could there be too much fluid in the res )... maybe slave is kaput or not fitted correctly ( although only an idgit could put it on wrong )......Have they put a non standard fork back on....or the fork has come off the ball inside the bell housing.....

Master cylinders do go......but not that common i dont think......

If nothing that has been mentioned before is the cause and Assuming that the clutch has been put together correctly,Unfortunately it may be time to get your hands dirty or arrange a garage visit unless anybody else can help.......

Cheers for the info.

Will look into it or let the pros take a look :)

• 2 weeks later...