Quick question about buying a private reg. off eBay?

Louisa911

Hello everyone!

Just got a quick question - there's a number plate on auction on eBay at the moment, I've emailed the seller and he says the plate is currently registered on a car. He said it would be £80 to transfer this to my own vehicle.

After looking on the DVLA website, it seems you have to fill out a form- one half filled out with the donor vehicle's details and current owner's signature, and then the other half filled out with my vehicle's details and my signature. Seems you also have to send off both registration certificates, MOT certificates etc.

Is there a way of doing this with a random stranger who lives somewhere else in the country? Bit wary of posting documents around etc. etc! Made me wonder, perhaps the only way of doing it would be putting the plate onto retention (£100-ish) and then also paying the £80 transfer fee once certificate is received to put onto your own vehicle? Would be nice to transfer it directly and avoid the big retention fee. Makes the plate pretty unaffordable if thats not the case :)

Cheers

Louisa

Yes Louisa. Get him to put it on retention this will include the assignment fee to your car, then he needs to send you the retention certificate then you can transfer it to your car this will take a few weeks. Then you send your MOT and tax disc to DVLA and they will issue you a new one. Not that difficult.

Edited by WhackyWill

sorry to hijack the thread here but........

can you transfer a reg from one car to another if the reg you want is the original that the car was registered with and not a private one? will the DVLA reassign a new reg for the original car? does that make sense?

Edited by SteveM

can you transfer a reg from one car to another if the reg you want is the original that the car was registered with and not a private one? will the DVLA reassign a new reg for the original car? does that make sense?

The DVLA will do anything for money.. :blush:

The DVLA will do anything for money.. :blush:

Anything except transfer a reg directly to me even if I buy it from them. Still has to be on another vehicle and then transferred over.

• Like 1