Camber and Bananas

Z-monster

Bonjour all,

Was walking back to the car last night and noticed that the Drivers sider rear wheel seemed to stick out at the bottom - much like it was trying to trip me up as I walked round to the boot. The wheel isn't flush with the bodywork when looking vertically over the arch. This wasn't the case on the other side of the car - totally flush with the body work, doesn't look off. I'll take some pictures later.

I had a wheel alignment on a Hunter about 2 months ago - they said all the alignments were wrong and even had to use a breaker bar on one of the adjusters. Seems previous owners just hadn't looked after it properly or were happy with a kwik-job.

anyway - Alignment two months ago said everything was back to within tolerances. But I have done a couple of thousand miles since then and two track days. Car is OEM.

Can wheel alignment undo itself?

Banana joints and bushes need doing, too (I'll be calling Abbey later) whats the verdict on Poly Brushes over OEM? I'm concerned for noisey/harsh ride from polys. I had a friend who replaced all of them on his classic beetle and said the noise was unbearable!

Otherwise the car is a DREAM. Might be a lifer.

All help gratefully received.

Assuming you've got OEM rays wheels and no spacers, the wheels should be inboard of the arch. What does the camber look like if you crouch down and look from the back of the car? Should basically look like zero degrees as standard. The alignment could have got screwed if you've hit a big pothole etc, but that sounds a bit dodgy to me! I'd get it checked for sure - Abbey can do this for you.

The super pro bushes that Abbey also do are very good and will sharpen the front end of the car up. There's no additional noise from them, maybe a slightly more choppy ride, but they're well worth it especially if you're having new banana arms fitted anyway.

Glad to hear you're lovin' the Zed though! :)

• Like 1

They can be within tolerance but that doesn't mean its 0' camber or toe etc. just close. The stock arms give bugger all adjustment, say you have spacers, different wheels or hit a pot hole it can have a big affect. Recently went with a member on the forum to get an alignment and he could only pull the stock arms in from 3.5 degrees to 2.5 degrees camber which is still loads! He went back the next week with adjustable arms on the rear and got it sorted :)