Castle Combe

Jetpilot

First track day in the Zed :)

Thoughts:

Certainly notice the extra weight from my Rx7, mainly on stopping and direction change but in general, very impressed with the way it handles and performed over all. Certainly wasnt the quickest thing out there but held its own against some much more expensive and focussed cars, notably a mate in an Aston Martin Vantage who just couldnt stay ahead.

So what i now have to tell myself is the 350z is a road car, a heavy (ish) road car and without sacrificing comfort/enjoyment etc on the road i do think there is plenty of room for improvement to make it a pretty quick car on track, obvious they might be, but with the usual mods i think i could shave a fair bit of time off a lap.

So a list in order of improvement:

Brakes: Set of braided lines, fluid change, pads and disks.

Tyres/Wheels: Set of track day rubber and light 18's.

Suspension: Decent set of coilovers.

And really that is all. My seats are cloth so do not weigh that much, but for comfort & safety on track i will most likely at some point get some bucket seats and harness's (to put in just for the track). Will also maybe add a flat front undertray/splitter, rear wing and half cage.

I also think its worth mentioning the circuit (castle combe), i know a few guys from here have been round at Japfest. Although not the most interesting track its pretty technical, Quarry is a tricky corner to get right and the general lack of run off does mean you have to throw caution to the wind if you really want to be on it. In fairness it probably doesnt suit the Zed that well as although its a very quick circuit its all about carrying corner speed, with a couple of fidgety low speed chicanes it slows the Zed right back down and by the time you have perhaps had a chance to catch up the lightweights at the end of the straight on the entrance to quarry, they are gone again.

Word of caution, if your booking CC, check their diary to see if they have a race meet on the day/weekend after the track day. They had some Mini & Atom championship on this weekend so all the teams had booked the track day to use as testing, although not out with these guys, they took up two groups so subsequently made the other two groups excessively large for "road cars", i counted 28 cars in one session, very naughty when they state maximum group size of 20. We went last year and we had a group to ourselves, 6 of us, lol, with 28 cars on track its gets a bit interesting!!