A new noise from my Zed - should I be worried?

The Trouser

The other day in a private car park I hit one of those speed bumps made entirely of tarmac and shaped like a Cabury's Chocolate Finger - not a lot of travel-width compared to the height. I hit it quite hard with the front wheels and it gave the whole car quite a jolt. Since then my Zed has developed a new noise.

When I first heard it I thought I was being followed by a motorbike - not a moped straining to keep up, but more like a big bike cruising at low revs.

After playing around for a while I've found that the sound has the following characteristics:

Its the same regardless of the quality of road surface

Its not related to the engine revs (I dropped the clutch at 60 mph and its still there) - so its produced by the forward motion of the car.

Its only noticeable over 40 mph and the frequency never changes

I can't tell exactly where the sound is coming from - sounds like the whole car.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar and should I be worried?

Thanks for any thoughts.

TT

(Zed is 04 plate, 94K miles and mine from new)

Thanks all!

Took a look underneath today - there doesn't seem to be anything hanging down that shouldn't be.

Had a feel of the undertray (that's the under-engine shielding immediately behind the front bumper, right?) and found it had some give when I pushed it up - is that right?

Also, I recall that some other underside shielding (between to the front wheels) was re-affixed recently as I'd hit something in the road - perhaps that's it?

Anyways, I'll get them all checked in the next service which is in a few months.

Thanks for your thoughts,

TT

"When I first heard it I thought I was being followed by a motorbike - not a moped straining to keep up, but more like a big bike cruising at low revs."

Could it be that the jolt has fractured or loosened a joint on the exhaust system, possible the one to the back box? Only a thought.

Edited by leonk