CAT 1 Alarm question

AndyC

As far as I know the UK Z has a CAT 1 alarm as standard (I could be wrong on this, it has been known!)

First question, does the JDM also have this?

Secondly, this has just struck me while answering one of Nixy's threads:

Does a CAT 1 alarm have to have an annual service? If so, why haven't Nissan mentioned it in their literature or ever mentioned it to me at service?

The reason I ask is a while ago (ok, like 8/9 years) I had a car that I got a CAT 1 fitted to. This came with a service book which had to be stamped every year when the alarm had its service. This was explained to me as a requirement of the Thatcham rules relating to CAT 1 devices; this could, however, have been utter bo*****s from the fitter & sales.

Now, if it was crap then when my car was stolen why did the insurers ask for the service record for the alarm?

So, are we leaving ourselves open to insurance claim knock backs on theft if the alarm isn't serviced?

What does Cat 1 actually mean? What is the difference between this and a bog standard factory alarm on other cars? It must be better in some way if insurance companies demand it like mine did.

What does Cat 1 actually mean? What is the difference between this and a bog standard factory alarm on other cars? It must be better in some way if insurance companies demand it like mine did.

Cat 1 is just the Thatcham testing facility standard... most of the JDM cars will come with an alarm that is far superior to this standard, but you still need a certificate to say that it exceeds this standard,Dont get conned into having another alarm fitted ..simply get a registered alarm installer to state in writing that your car has an alarm meeting Thatcham Cat 1 standard(you'll probably have to slip them £20 or so ;) )