New Driver Short Term Insurance

Posidrive

Before you all crack up laughing this is for my 18 year old son who passed his test 2 days ago, but to drive his mother's Honda estate.

Current insurer won't add him as a named driver, but we only really want the occasional day here and there so thought of short term insurance. But I've spoken to a few brokers and checked the usual online suspects and noone will touch him until he has had his license for at least 6 months. Bit odd, because he could have a license for 6 months and not even drive during that time.

Anyone know of any possibilities?

Bend over, lube up, buy crappy old shed or Aygo and expect to pay £4K for the privilege.

You may possibly have some luck if you move to an insurer who requires a black box fitted, but I wouldn't want that on any car shared with sensible adults.

• 2 weeks later...

Been in that position before.

Short answer is there is very little chance of getting short term at anything under 21 - or it was in my case.

I know Aviva used to cover under 21's if the car was under a certain insurance group (12?) - Not sure if they still do though.