Laptop wireless internet connection help

Removed

yeah router is the BT home hub one, did have a quick look at the hub settings, but didn't really see much in order to chnage security settings, typing this from my laptop downstairs btw :teeth:

basically as far as I can gather, to connect to a WEP network you need a password of 10 characters, how does WPA work?

hmm spoken too early :dry:

card, when inserted into the laptop slot now doesn't get recognised and instead of the sound you hear (same as when plugging in USB devices) when plugging it in, you now hear a sound that is the same sound as when you unplug it, but done it twice. Basically the card doesn't get recognised by Windows. weird!! :dry:

card, when inserted into the laptop slot now doesn't get recognised and instead of the sound you hear (same as when plugging in USB devices) when plugging it in, you now hear a sound that is the same sound as when you unplug it, but done it twice. Basically the card doesn't get recognised by Windows. weird!! :dry:

I assume you have done a search for the latest drivers for the card, rather than just the ones it came with etc?

yup, and it won't be the drivers (latest ones downloaded from the Edimax website)as it worked a couple of times with no problems. I have a feeling it could be the cardbus ports on my laptop tbh.. will have to try the card on another laptop. It just doesn't seem to be recognised by XP when I plug it in

What OS are you running? You mentioned that it *was* working - have you changed anything since? Have you tried rebooting? (I ask this 'cos I normally just keep my laptop on hibernate most of the time, and occasionally need to reboot)

Driver reinstall could be worthwhile, though if you're using Windows 2000 or XP Pro, it could be worth peeking into the Admin Tools->Event Viewer to see if anything obvious is failing.

What OS are you running? You mentioned that it *was* working - have you changed anything since? Have you tried rebooting? (I ask this 'cos I normally just keep my laptop on hibernate most of the time, and occasionally need to reboot)

Driver reinstall could be worthwhile, though if you're using Windows 2000 or XP Pro, it could be worth peeking into the Admin Tools->Event Viewer to see if anything obvious is failing.

I'm on XP Pro. I haven't really changed anything. It seems as if the card itself doesn't get recognised by XP (as when it was recognised, in the same fashion as when you plug in USB stuff) you got the little popups saying the card is ready to be used etc. Now it doesn't.

Tried to reinstall drvers, and nothign happened, still card not "seen" by XP.

I'm on XP Pro. I haven't really changed anything. It seems as if the card itself doesn't get recognised by XP (as when it was recognised, in the same fashion as when you plug in USB stuff) you got the little popups saying the card is ready to be used etc. Now it doesn't.

Might sound like a daft suggestion, but when you upgraded drivers, did you do so over the top of the existing ones?

I would suggest removing all versions of the drivers, hopefully by doing a full uninstall to remove any reference. Then I would reboot and start as if from fresh, installing your latest drivers then putting card in etc......

Might have just got its knickers in twist if you did "upgrade" rather than removal of old first. Might sound daft, but for example thats what you need to do on the Netgear PCMCIA stuff......

Worth a try?

At the risk of jumping the gun a little, it could well be a hardware fault - you gets (or not gets) what you pay for...

Any chance that you can test the card in another machine to verify? (after following the suggestions above). Also, have you tried uninstalling the device, and then trying the "plug and play" route to see if the OS will automatically detect it?

Might sound like a daft suggestion, but when you upgraded drivers, did you do so over the top of the existing ones?

I would suggest removing all versions of the drivers, hopefully by doing a full uninstall to remove any reference. Then I would reboot and start as if from fresh, installing your latest drivers then putting card in etc......

Might have just got its knickers in twist if you did "upgrade" rather than removal of old first. Might sound daft, but for example thats what you need to do on the Netgear PCMCIA stuff......

Worth a try?

na mate I'm not that daft, when i got the drivers set up for the first time, they were the latest from their site :)

I'm more veering towards the card being at fault of my laptop ports being dodgy. I'll try it on another laptop but got the feeling might be the card

looks like it's my frickin laptop ports that don't work :dry:

completely uninstalled the software, rebooted and same story, not even acknowledged that I plugged the card in.

Tried 2 different laptops, one newer than mine ( a IBM T43 on XP, mine's T41) and an older Dell on Windows 2000 and even that one recognised new hardware plugged in... so yeah must be my pcmcia ports that don't like the card anymore, for some reason??? those 2 laptops I tried it on were of course didn't have the software drivers installed

ideas?

ideas?

Swap badges with the T43? ;) Or any excuse to get a new laptop from work.

Or failing that, get a USB wireless dongle thing.

:lol: the T453 is my bosses, I sneaked to his desk while he'd gone to McDonalds... but yeah my laptop is due to be swapped for a new one in September IIRC, problem is I wanted to use it on holiday! :dry:

might have to go down the USB route.. are they any good, and most importantly, anyone wants a nearly brand new wireless card for £10?