Retaining steering wheel call button with AM Alpine HU

ToonGeneral

Hi,

I've read the stickies and searched the forum, but having some trouble finding a specific answer. Apologies if I missed it.

I am getting a local company to fit an Alpine IVE-W530BT to replace the stock unit. Looks like a nice unit and a good price, all worked when I tried it out with my phone, streaming music and phone calls. If anyone has any comments though, feel free!

However, the guys at the place seemed to think the call button on the steering wheel couldn't be made to work. They were specifically referring to the call button, the others they said would be fine. The guy went so far as to say that this is a general problem with any car make and replacing the manufacturer HU with AM. To me (and I'm a proper n00b), this sounded bollocks. However, they have a great rep around here so I assumed they would know what they are talking about!

So should I be able to answer/make calls through an AM HU using the call button, with just the loom mentioned here?

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/15611-what-you-need-to-upgrade-your-350z-audio-system/

The 530bt doesn't have a built in steering control interface so your stuck with what the third party interface box has set the buttons too. I have a 9986 and with its built in interface allows you to choose what each button does.

I had a similar problem to this (on a Pioneer pioneer avh-x3500dab)...but mine was that the harness had been snipped off by a previous owner and the audio place is struggling to find the volume wires out of the 30 odd wires there.

Will I need to replace the whole steering wheel to make this work or can I buy the steering wheel volume button harness from somewhere?

Oh and BulletMagnet; how did you guys wire up the call answer to switch between audio sources?

Edited by wizard

Oh and BulletMagnet; how did you guys wire up the call answer to switch between audio sources?

I didn't do any extra wiring at all, just used the incartec harness for steering controls for the 350Z for use with Pioneer HU's.

To be honest, I don't know if the call answer button works as a call answer when there is an incoming call, usually just let it auto answer.

I just know that the call answer button acts as a source switch for the HU when not in a call.

Also, I found that Sextons were selling an outdated version of the incartec harness, so I ordered it directly from incartec and they sent me the correct one.

Many years ago now, but still working like a dream

The OEM harness has three wires that are connected via a plug that is attached to a cable that goes to the steering wheel.

The aftermarket steering wheel loom from Incartec also has three wires which have to be connected to the corresponding three wires on the OEM cable that leads to the steering wheel.

The Incartec steering wheel control loom comes with instructions and which colour wire connects to which.

And failing that there are instructions on their website

The image from the sticky has gone but the 3 wires from the incartec should connect as follows..

ICT Unit white Cable -> Red/Green Cable

ICT Unit Grey Cable -> Orange/Silver Cable

ICT Unit Purple Cable -> Yellow/Green Cable

colours may vary, some adaptors came with a connector so it was plug and play but mine had loose wires from the ICT unit.