R33 advice appreciated

brown7758

So,

As I was turned into a Jap enthusiast and more specifically a Nissan fan, I've decided on a Skyline R33 as my next car... I was going to as stated a few years back, return to the Zeds, but as it happens that will wait until the future when my garage can hold a weekend and sun runner...

I know there are a number of Skyline enthusiasts in our midsts and in general a bunch of really, really clued up petrolheads within the Forum, and its you guys I am calling on for any tips, hints and pointers that you can give..

My budget for getting back to Jap is not as much as I would like (£4.5k - at a push £6k) and within this range there a few good looking and sounding (sales ads and forum write ups) R33 GTST's (GTR for the budget I have would not be a quality item of course) and I will post the links to 5 of the leading list that I have been making over the last 2 weeks..

My question is, plainly... what do you guys think.. :blush:

Again, I thank this forum for being the wealth of knowledge and hours of fun that it is (nothing like a bit of buttering up the members ;) )

Now with the cars there are things that I find undesirable, but there are pros as well.. I've named a few bits below..

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305266964607 (low miles)

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/nissan/skyline-r33/nissan-skyline-r33-gts-t-spec-2-automatic/1378690 (AUTO)

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/nissan/skyline-r33/stunning-nissan-skyline/1407318 (bonnet... prefer all white look)

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/nissan/skyline/nissan-skyline-r33-gtst-2-5-single-turbo-350-bhp-rwd/1330314 (red interior)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305166796314 (big spec)

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202589 (no Service History, but has forum history from Lassa tyres, Richard McCourt, Simon Perry ) *(It is sold from the forum, but the current owner in Durham cant keep insured, so is on eBay)*

So, fire away guys and gals.. all and any help/ info is greatly appreciated..

right my opinion, and these are the cars i know inside and out, for that budget id be buying standard and tuning it your way, as thats a stack of cash and if you were thinking gtr you would get a clean 32 gtr for the top end of your budget. also id consider bringing one in from over here in ireland as youll get a car for alot less the way they are at the moment.

dazza's car on so.com is a clean car, but the interior is a little marmite tbh.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/nissan/skyline-r33/stunning-nissan-skyline/1407318 (thats a nice one and what id be getting out of that list but its not worth that money if you ask me)

have a good look through the for sale section on so.com and youll get something tasty for the right money. also id take my time looking at them and get the one you really want. its a buyers market so dont be afraid to lowball them too.

moff who i believe is on here too has a clean spec 1 for 2k bonnet and headlight swap gives you the spec 2 look if you prefer that for roughly 300 quid too.. then tart it up how you like.

I wouldn't bother unless you can stretch your budget a bit for a R33GTR. Once you buy a lower model and tune it right, the difference in cash would probably see you close to a GTR version, which sit that much better on the road and look right. Don't go by pics - check versions next to each other and you'll see how much better the GTR looks. I had one and it was a great car. Easily to live with for a 450hp car....although mind with tuning that on the GTR everything in the engine is twice!!. Two intakes, two turbos, to dump valves etc....mine cost me close to 4K to get to 450hp, which aint bad really.

The R33 is big old bus that in GTR form really is very nice to drive. Not super fast standard but very planted, even in the wet. They are all getting on in life...and the do feel dated inside. Surprisingly cheap to run.

Mine made contact with a kerb (diesel on road) and was written off for minor damage - wheels are 450 each, headlight was another 500, plus a couple of tyres.

Find a good one and you want go wrong. Would still have mine if the kerb didn't win.

And dont let anyone say different...midnight purple is the best colour. Unfortunately like hens teeth to get a nice one.

Edited by aidan

I bought my zed standard, spent a few grand modifying it and sold it for a lot less a few years later. Broke my heart and my wallet lol

Bought the skyline for a touch over 3k, wasn't interested in a standard one. As you know money spent on modifying is lost on resale so why not make someones loss your gain? I didn't spend much on mine and Iv only changed the wheels, headlights, front bumper and it's gone from this

e6a68bc5.jpg

to this

9279019C-64BB-42CE-9519-9B1A16716EFC-10181-00000A04FD8A1F1D.jpg

Mine turns more heads than my zed did and cost a fraction of the price

Everything Iv removed Iv sold on and used the money towards it's replacement. Gear knob, head unit, mats, bumper etc etc. So I agree that you could get a standard one cheap but labour for fitting a full bodykit etc will soon add up

Also I agree the GTR looks better but the GTST is a great car on it's own right and costs much less. Depends what you want from the car

I love mine, very different to the zed but both great in different ways. I was surprised at how comfy mine was in my 7 hour journey home after picking it up. Digital climate control in an 18 year old car is surprising to many. But when I was in Tokyo I saw loads of skylines, all in standard guise, no bodykits or wheels and predominantly 4 doors. They are big luxury cars there not just tuner cars like we know and love here

• Like 1

Irfan, you are thinking along the exact same lines as me on this one.. I bought my Zed for 12.5k, spent around 4k on it and sold it for a massive and i mean massive loss...

There are cars (like the ones in the OP) that are modified to a level and in a style that I would almost copy, so it makes sense to get one of said cars and put my own personal touch on it :thumbs:

your car looks awesome Irfan, good work! was there anything you think to look out for (ive done research, but anything would help)

You dont see alot of Skylines in Glasgow, but I really want one :cloud9:

I am not in dire need of the GTR as the GTST will fill my need perfectly and although the midnight purple would suit many people, I am colour blind and really do like the white ones :)

thanks for the replies so far :D

Buying for 12 and putting 4 in then selling for a massive loss.. bet I can beat it lol.

Bought a 33 gtst for 8k spent 20k modding it and sold it for 4.5k.

As above gtst and gtr are 2 very different cars. Gtr looks more aggressive in stock for stock trim but IMO from experience the rb25det is a much more responsive engine for drivability then the rb26dett.

My Rb25 was tuned to 430bhp then saapped out and tuned an rb26 to 500bhp and I wished id kept the rb25.

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking that the big BHP engines are actually the RB25 single turbo, as they are stronger? Guessing because they use the same block, just not bored out as much.

Nope alot are on the r32 gtr rb26dett n1 block because that is stronger and they have the r34 crank because its a one piece and not as prone to failure like the 32 and 33 gtr crank. They are converted to single turbo though but not the same manifold as the rb25 due to a different bolt pattern. Also the intake plenum on the rb26 is built for maximum air intake unlike the rb25 one which is fairly restrictive and why alot of gtst owners change thiers for an rb26 style plenum.

As I said completely different cars different ways to mod them for what I dropped into mine id have hada 34 gtr but thats not what I wanted at the time.