Boot Not Opening

ChiefChavley

When I first bought the car, the boot opened without a problem.

Left it standing for a while and now when I try to open the boot, it doesn't open. After googling for the boot switch, I managed to find it just behind the number plate, so I'm pressing the right button (rubber one above back plate) but boot doesn't open.

I googled for a solution and read that there's a secondary switch on the rear strut. I think I located it (close to the middle on the underside of rear strut) but that doesn't seem to do anything either. But maybe I'm not pressing the right button? Hard to tell as I can't see anything, have to feel around for it and not sure if it's even a button!

Any ideas?

It's become a bit of a pain not having a functioning boot! Hopefully it's nothing major to sort out. Ideally I'd want to try fixing it myself as I've moved to a new town (over 100 miles away from where I used to live) and don't know any local reliable mechanics.

Some one who inspired me to get a "Z" had a similar problem when he left it stationary for a while. The problem in his car was the battery. Got himself a new battery and had no problems with the boot opening.

Good luck .

The emergency boot release under the rear strut is a pull cord. The tab is velcro'd to the trim, pull it off and pull the cord. If the boot switch or battery has failed, this should open it as it is a mechanical operation, not an electrical switch, hence 'emergency'. If you here the switch 'firing' but the boot doesn't open, then as above, you have the common problem with tired lifter springs. If the boot opens with the pull cord then you have identified a problem with the switch or the battery as HASH says.