Rear Alignment issue after accident

MrRoper

Hi all,

Firstly the accident was totally my fault, I was being a d*ck..lesson learnt!

Long story short I ended up sliding into a curb with my rear wheel (im sure you can guess how) which ended up bending the front lower link (camber arm).

This has been replaced today and also a new rim put on (thanks ZMANALEX) the mechanic that did the work said that everything else looked ok, and I had a good look underneath also and couldnt see any other obvious damage.

When the car was back on the ground, the wheel now had much more toe out that the other side and after trying to align, although we got closer, its obvious that something else is bent.

I`m just wondering if you guys have any ideas what to look at next? Im thinking maybe the radius arm, however it seems that if this was bent there would be more toe in rather than toe out?

any ideas guys?

Edited by MrRoper

I would get under the car and measure the dimensions of all the suspension arms and compare LHS to RHS as accurately as possible.

My toe out issues a couple of years ago turned out to be the rear lower wishbone (cast aluminium spring mount) which had deformed slightly but was not noticeable by eye. At the time, I also broke the hub carrier, camber and trailing arms but these were easy to identify as most were in 2 pieces.

It's a harsh but good lesson to teach yourself to keep it to the track. Keep us informed of progress and best of luck fixing it.

• Like 1

Many Thanks for the reply,

Was it the rear lower link, the one with the spring cup? I know in your thread reagrding your issue you mentioned you replaced the hub carrier and upper wishbone also?

Regards

Hmm my car was a cat D and I couldn't get it lined up so I bought some D2 racing adjustable camber and toe arms, I went to three different garages and non could spot what was bent. You got a PIC of this part with the spring cup?

OK, im going to get the car on the stands tomorrow and try measuring all the suspension arms to see if one is slightly out. Im just hoping this isnt the damn sub-frame :( It wasnt a hard hit, and so far have seen much worse on the internet!

SeaBea,

This is the part he means, which im suprised bent as I thought it was cast alloy. However its the most obvious arm on the whole assembly to be causing my issue as it directly controls toe angle

1012435_340380.jpg

I wasn't sure it could bend! However It can only be this part, the hub carrier,the radius arm or the subframe that is causing my issue. Camber arm has been replaced and that was the only damage visible to the eye .

I`m hoping taking measurements between the two mounting points as seen in the pics will show a difference between the two sides. Something is bent..Its just finding out what, as cheaply as possible!! :lol:

If that doesn't show anything then I think I'm going to change the Radius arm and the rear lower link (spring cup) as part of a "ruling things" out process.

What arms did you install? the link is dead on your thread :S

Edited by MrRoper

Yes, a slight bend that reduces the length in the spring cup would cause toe out because the spring cup centreline is behind the axle centreline.

If you struggle to find any differences in dimensions, try swapping various LHS and RHS arms around and visually checking the alignment.

I think I may have found the culprit.. Firstly the spring cup arm does look slightly more bent thatn the other side (it seems they have a slight bend towards the inner fixing point by design) but this might be my eyes and wishful thinking, however I know you all like pics and the pic below might be the cause.

IMG_02281.jpg

This is the Hub Carrier side of the same arm with what seems to be a knackered bushing and maybe even a bent bolt? Im going to replace the spring cup and radius arm next and if this fails the Hub Carrier.

Edited by MrRoper

Did a bit more digging around today and manged to get it in the air to have a look with the wheels off.

I think you might be onto something GoodAtCrashing... My two rear lower arms are different lengths, I have measured both sides from A to B and the side with the issue seems to be about a centimeter shorter!! :o

lowerlink.jpg

I measured this a number of times as 1 centimeter seems huge and its not obvious to the eye.

Replacing this next and then will take it from there.

Shes fixed! :)

It was indeed the lower rear arm (spring cup) that was causing the toe out, and it looks like the bushing for this arm in the hub carrier is fine. Just needs a good alignment now but my steering wheel is straight again!

Thanks to Alex for putting up with my inane questions and getting parts out to me quickly (great service!) and also GoodAtCrashing for pointing me in the right direction.

SeaBee, I would deffo look at getting your spring cup arm(s) replaced as any damage is impossible to see by the naked eye, and was only evident after measuring. :thumbs: