iPod Bose hack...... USB socket rather than 3.5mm jack?

Louisa911

Hey! Added a reply to the proper Bose hack thread but thought better start a fresh topic.

Getting a friend who is quite good at circuit boards and electrical stuff to do this bose hack for me... he has suggested /questioned the possibility of wiring in a USB socket, to which I can plug in an iPod usb lead because they always seem to go faulty- in this case if it does go dodgy I can just plug a new one in. Should this be do-able if earthed and given power supply?

Secondly, am I likely to encounter the 'enter code' situation after removing the stereo and refitting?

Thanks!

Edited by Louisa911

I cant see how a USB would even work, unless im being stupid which is a possibility, or of course if were talking about an aftermarket head unit then yes its definatly possible.

To be able to do this (on the stock HU) something needs to be able read the file format of the USB stick (NTFS or FAT32) and then have the ability to play an MP3 which, if you're using hardware to do this needs to be licensed.

I mean sure, using something such as a Raspberry pi to the heavy lifting is possible (but far from simple) but it would require much more effort than the results would yield in terms of improvements over the standard 3.5mm hack. Still, if you do manage to figure out a easy way then im sure there would be a great deal if interest for it.

As for my method detailed above, you could do the same thing with a USB as there are USB extensions and jacks available for purchase, it means soldering an extra wire per connector but that would only mean 4 more in total at most.

To enable charging for my iPhone 5 (and to cater for my GF who has an older iphone with the 30 pin connector) i have wired in a cig lighter extension to the front port and hidden the cables inside the central plastics, then bought a Griffin dual port charger and wired the cables to the back cubby.

Its very tidy this way and means i can swap out every cable involved in this hack besides one wiothin about 2 mins at absolute most and without having to re-solder anything.

Edited by cs2000

Yes it is possible as I was going to do this with mine before I sold my iPhone. You can get an iPhone to USB & Aux cable (see here http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/B002ATMN22)

You would just connect the 3.5mm jack as the other guide suggests; you would then need a USB/car charger adapter (to act as a transformer as USB is 5v) then just plug the usb into this behind the dash.

Hope that makes sense. Haven't actually done this mod as I said I got rid of my iPhone, but I can't see any reason it wouldn't work.

EDIT: Just seen that you didn't want to hardwire the iPhone cable. You could just wire both a USB socket and a 3.5mm socket into your cubby and then plug in the cable I linked above - should work?

Edited by Mikesding

Ahh I got carried away thinking Louisa actuall meant having a USB socket available to put a USB stuck with music into! The link you have would work fine, easiest to combine it with the last part of my post above to get it working quickly and save having to find an earth and a 5V live.

Heres the photos as promised of the full hack which includes iphone charging

Under-side of the Bluetooth trap door part showing the connection between the green cable (3.5mm jack soldered into the head unit as per the original ipod hack) and the black one that's wired to my jack in the trap door.

B1365099635545698_2.jpg

What you see when you open up the cubby.

B1365099635545698_1.jpg

Then with my right angled connector and my 3.5mm jack on a retracting reel.

B1365099635545698_3.jpg

and finally, with my two iPhone chargers :D

B1365099635545698_4.jpg

Edited by cs2000

• 4 weeks later...