Simple Servicing Question

MarkW

Just got off the phone to dealer and hoped some of you can confirm what they are telling me is correct:

My car was registered June 05

It was serviced in June 06 at 4300 miles

It has now done 14500 miles

When is the next service due?

The service book says 2 years or 18000 miles, the service dept at my local dealers have confirmed this.

However it also states 9000 mile service intervals - and I have now gone 10000 since the last service. If I wait until June it will be over 12000. Explained this to dealer but she said this would be ok. Are they correct?

Also what is a good price for a P2 service, they quoted £250.

Just got off the phone to dealer and hoped some of you can confirm what they are telling me is correct:

My car was registered June 05

It was serviced in June 06 at 4300 miles

It has now done 14500 miles

When is the next service due?

The service book says 2 years or 18000 miles, the service dept at my local dealers have confirmed this.

However it also states 9000 mile service intervals - and I have now gone 10000 since the last service. If I wait until June it will be over 12000. Explained this to dealer but she said this would be ok. Are they correct?

Also what is a good price for a P2 service, they quoted £250.

Mark, the easiest ones first....... P2 service without oil (supply your own as will be better stuff and cheaper to boot) should be around £140! Let me guess, is your dealer Westway or something? I found that when ringing around, that they have a set price..... but I rang around multiple dealers and got it down to £130-140 with my own oil.

You are right in as fact that the service interval is every 9000. You car was effectively serviced early in mileage terms, due to its low mileage so it was serviced on the once a year route.

But you have now done over 9000 miles since the last service. A decent manufacturer would give you some leeway, but I would say that it needs a service NOW as its done over 9000!

By waiting for the June date to fall in line with the year is rubbish as you are invalidating your warranty as you've gone over 9000.

My take is its mileage first (every 9k) then once a year if you are lucky enough to do low mileage...

Hope that helps, :thumbs:

next service was due at 13300 miles

12 months or 9000 miles. Whichever comes first. Wouldn't believe the dealer saying it's ok as it might come back to haunt you come selling time and I bet he'll say I didn't say that

next service was due at 13300 miles

12 months or 9000 miles. Whichever comes first. Wouldn't believe the dealer saying it's ok as it might come back to haunt you come selling time and I bet he'll say I didn't say that

A very short way of saying that I've said in a long number of words! :blush:

Also, Imagine the argument with Nissan "Customer services" if anything goes wrong with your car.....

Get out of Jail Card no 1) Well you didn't follow the warranty path properly sir! :angry:

But suppose the service is done now at 14,500, when is the next service 18,000 or 23,500?

23,500 is the answer :)

I would concur!

Unless you do less than that and therefore its 12 months since this 14,500 service...... :thumbs:

Guest prescience
But suppose the service is done now at 14,500, when is the next service 18,000 or 23,500?

Based on an annual mileage of 3,500 ;)

Thanks guys :thumbs: Thats what I thought.

I do find it annoying that dealers can be misinformed like this. If I was a regular punter now I would just go away and do as I was told. Not everyone is a member of a car forum or has other people to check with. :angry:

The manual is not very specific either, what it actually says is:

"Once this service has been performed (P1), the next service is due when you reach 2 years or 18,000 miles."

It doesnt say anything about the service being earlier, if the first one was at a lower mileage.

It was Colliers, Acocks Green by the way. Any comments on the best place to take it in the Birmingham area appreciated.

Good point re the Oil. Where's a good place to buy? Does Simon the Oilman come on here?

Good point re the Oil. Where's a good place to buy? Does Simon the Oilman come on here?

Yes, you can choose from Opie Oils (simon & guy - Oilman on here) or Amsoil. Both trade on here and give discounts.

Look in traders section for recent offers and discounts ....... :thumbs:

Damn low-mileage drivers complicating everything!! :p

They should all do 9000 miles every 7 months like me!!

That was the first owner, not me! I'm doing my best to catch up :D

Save me checking (lazy I know), anyone know how much oil I would need for a change?

Based on an annual mileage of 3,500 ;)

Tell you what Dorian, you keep asking the questions and I'll try my best to read in-between the lines. Or better still, ask the question in full :dry:

Service interval is every 9,000 miles or every 12 months, whichever comes first. If you have your car serviced late, either in terms of mileage or time, the manufacturers warranty is invalidated and beleive me, Nissan WILL get out of a warranty claim if they can !

I charge £179+VAT for a P2, including supplying the Oil - but Forum members get 10% discount on that. If you want to supply your own Oil I will deduct the cost, BUT, unlike most garages I do not stock a big tank of Oil and put the same stuff in every car, I buy Oil seperately for each job and use the correct grade etc.

Look in the forum discounts section and click on The Glen for more information.

Save me checking (lazy I know), anyone know how much oil I would need for a change?

5 litres tin reqd, book says 4.7l inc filter change.

Cheers :thumbs:

Have yet to see your red Z round Solihull dude!

Like to fly below the radar :teeth::teeth:

Seen a black one today NV05 ...that you?

Looks like im a bit stuffed in Birmingham with servicing costs :rant:

Colliers want £250 even though I told them I had been quoted £210 elsewhere they wont budge. Will make it £220 if I supply oil - I'm sure the oil will be more than £30 on their invoice!

Westway want £296 and werent interested in negotiating either.

Would consider taking it to Holdcrofts in Stoke, but what it would cost in petrol, plus having to take time off and hang around whilst they do it make it not really worth while.

Looks like Ive just got to pay up...but I just get that horrible feeling Im being fleeced.

Rant over!