HSD Monopro

Azzer_R

Brought some of these recently and got them fitted to the car, adjusted on the front and preloaded them. Happy with the ride height and comfort and there is loads of room for adjustments on preload and ride height still.

Fitted the rears, preloaded them and set up the height but found the threaded body of the coilover is now at the bottom of the sleeve, meaning I can't go any lower. I've emailed driftworks and just can't see this is right as I could still do with a 30mm drop on the rear. Any one had any experience with these? I just can't see anyone would design a coilover that doesn't really go low and convinced I must be missing something!

Here's a photo of my HSD HR (which I think is the old name for the MonoPro) coilovers when they were fitted by Jez at Horsham Developments if it helps:

IMG_3514.JPG

I think the ride height was higher than standard at this point and they were then adjusted to give a drop of about 23mm which is perfect for me. I think they will go a bit lower still but not by much. How low are you trying to go?

• Like 1

Yeah the HR's became the Monopro's. I've got about a 35-40mm gap between fender and tyre on the rear at the moment and that's as low as its letting me go which seems rubbish! I've preloaded them and still have about 20mm that I could go lower if the threaded body wasn't hitting the bottom of the sleeve.

I want to drop it between the medium of having little arch gap and it not scrubbing etc. I've seen plenty of 350's running Dual Techs which achieve the ride height I would like. I assumed it would be better to get a true coilover on the rear with more dampening adjustment so I could tinker, it's racking my brain that the more expensive coilover with more adjustment would only allow you to drop a tiny bit below stock ride height.

Seems very strange, might be worth seeing if you can find someone who's familiar with fitting rear coilovers so they can take a look as I'm really not the best person to ask.

If it helps, I'm very pleased with mine so hopefully you'll think it's worth the effort once you've got it sorted. :)

I've been speaking to Kam at driftworks, it appears I will have to get the sleeve that mounts to the hub redrilled if I want to push lower, once that's done its a matter of removing locking collars etc. if needed. Bear that in mind if anyone is purchasing the HSD MonoPro's that depending on what fitment they want they may need to get the rear sleeves redrilled prior to fitting them. :)

I thought one of the main reasons why people liked rear coilovers was that the dual perch design allows you to run lower without compromising the damper. I'm confused as to why they wouldn't be suitable for this straight out of the box. :wacko:

Seems a bit like the extended rear adjusters I got with mine which also needed to be re-drilled so that they would fit.

I haven't heard any mention of the MeisterR Zeta-R or any other true coilovers having similar issues.

I think it's all relative to how your going to set your car up, I mean they ride great and the car handles a lot better aswell as being lower than stock on the rear and can go a lot lower than anyone would dare on the front!

It's all depends on what you want, I come from a background of 200sx's on my last car I had HSD coilovers, fully adjustable arms and was contemplating geomaster race hubs. With all these you can achieve exactly what setup you want but with just a few you would be a tad limited.

The Monopro's are aimed at competitive cars and thus would be suitable if your willing to make other modifications. If not I think the dual techs are a better option, however Kam mentioned the Monopro's with the right modifications they have had a setup so low it scrapes on a cambered road so no fear of being to high there! Aswell of course benefiting from the true coilover and more dampening adjustment.

• 1 year later...