Rattling/blowing exhaust

menz83

Hey folks,

Recently got a cobra cat back and y-pipe installed and had no issues. I then got a pair of cobra decats fitted which I only kept for a week because they were too loud! During that week, I did notice a rattle coming from around the centre of the car. This rattle continued when I swapped the cobra decats for an unbranded silenced decats. I've been back to the garage twice now but the rattle continues. The second time I went was because there was a significant blow coming from the front right decat and where the y-pipe meets the cat back. The blow was fixed but this proved to be only temporarily and I have a feeling this is being caused by the rattle. The garage told me there's no a lot they can do and is likely because if the lack of support from the decats. I'm not convinced and want this sorted out for good. I was going to suggest to the garage to take the exhaust off and start from scratch but was hoping others have had similar experiences and can share some advice. Not only is this annoying, it's also a bit embarrassing!

Thanks

Ive posted a topic about this before. The general consensus was that its the decats causing it. Mine does it too around 2k rpm. Im going to take the two heatshields off next time im under to see if thats ehats causing it. It seems to be a common thing though

Edited by The Chubby Ninja

Thanks for your response mate. I did have a rattle caused by vibrations at the heat shields, bending the heat shields slightly was enough to solve this. I have another rattle somewhere around the centre of the car and it's only when I drive over rougher ground that I can hear it. Since the roads are so bad, that's pretty much every road I drive on! The garage talked about blasting it with a torch to bend the pipe, bit this won't stop the excessive movement and any future blows I would imagine. I guess I'll just have to get booked in again and see how it goes!