Drivers mirror folds in but not out?

sloutrou

Hi all,

I have a curious probem that I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on. I have a 2004 model with the first revision of the auto folding mirrors fitting (I believe). Since I've owned it, the mirrors have always worked with the central locking via keyfob, unfolding when unlocking and vice versa.

The day after I cleaned the car, I noticed the drivers mirror would not open fully when unlocking the car, it would move perhaps half an inch and stop. The passenger mirror works as it should. I've found that if I apply very little pressure to the mirror when it's unfolding, it will open our fully, and this is by giving it a very light bit of persuasion. It has always closed fine by itself, but slower that it used to be. The other issue which I believe to be related is that the keyfob will no long fold and unfold either mirror and instead seems to work when I insert or remove the key from the ignition, so I'm a bit stumped as to whether the motor on the mirror has gone or whether the aftermarket folding parts have packed in!

Has anyone known of a mirror motor going faulty?

Would be great to hear if anyone's had the same issue.

Thanks,

Jez

Haven't seen a circuit diagram for the mirror control so can't be specific, however I do know that the mirror dc motor will run slow with reduced torque If it is not receiving the full voltage. This could be caused by worn motor brushes ( check the voltage to the motor when operating..I would assume it should be 12v). If it is then suspect the motor (assuming no additional mechanical resistance present)

If the voltage is low then there must be a high resistance in the wiring to it (corroded connection/loose connection/ dry solder joint)

When you lock/ unlock the doors using the key fob a micro switch supplied as part of the folding mirror kit causes the relays on the kit circuit board to operate, so check the operation of the micro switch first (do the doors lock/unlock?)

Best I can do for now.

This has happened to my drivers side. I was parked in the corner of a car park and hadn't put my wing mirrors in.. came back to find the drivers side in but the passenger not.. paint on the outside of the drivers side.. someone had hit it..

Its not worked from then it goes in fine but only goes out about half an inch and stops - this happens at the normal speed.. I've to push it out the rest of the way which will finish with a loud pop / click.. I think there are plastic cogs inside which have had teeth broken off... could be a similar case? I'm going to attempt to dismantle and see how this goes so when I do I'll post back!

Thanks Dicky and adam1942 for the info, I found a thread with some dissasembly pictures so will undo the couple of screws on the underside of the mirror when I have some daylight to work!

It always sounds like its trying to open, I went to Nissan and they recommended some WD40 or a replacement mirror. A little embarrassing when you turn the ignition on, have to fold the mirrors in, wind the window down and hold onto the mirror while it opens out fully, removes the coolness factor a tad ;)