Clarifications on ECU pedal dance required

malross

Hi all,

I recently had the engine light come on on my Zed - steady, not blinking - and am trying to get the pedal dance going so I can diagnose and reset it. I've not managed it yet, but there are a couple of things in the instructions I'm not sure I've understood properly.

1. Turning the key to ON

The very first bit of the instructions says to turn the key to ON. Does this mean turning it completely (just as when starting the car), such that if I let go of the key, it would move away from the ON position? And if so, do I therefore have to hold the key in that position for the full duration on the reset procedure?

2. When to release the pedal for the flashes and code

To get the CEL blinking, the instructions say to "fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking". So, I take my foot off the pedal as soon as it starts blinking? Thing is, the next instruction -- after the blinks -- says to release the pedal... but I've already done that. It then says to wait 10 seconds, but doesn't say when those 10 seconds start -- is it "wait for 10 seconds after the blinking stops" or "wait for 10 seconds after you've released the pedal"? If the latter, I presume the blinking is going on while I'm counting the 10 seconds?

Sorry for the confusion -- I really appreciate that someone's put this stuff online, but I'm getting frustrated by my inability to interpret it correctly. If anyone can clear it up, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mal.

Ooops, meant to say CEL in the title, not ECU.

Also, an update: I got it to work, so I must've done something right. However, the flashing sequence never ended - it just kept on repeating, fast and then slow and then fast again. Is this normal?

Cheers,

Mal.