Wired FM Modulator fitting - Mini guide

D8NMT

Hi Guys,

I installed a wired FM modulator to my standard (non-bose stereo) this weekend.

I didn't feel confident doing the stereo hack, and the tape convertor line in thingy just looked messy with the wire hanging out so this seemed like a good option.

The main difference between a wired fm modulator and the normal type is that the unit plugs directly into the back of your stereo into the arial port and your standard arial plugs into the unit.

This means when the modulator is in use, it blocks out all other radio stations so you get no interference so the sound quality is much better.

Anyway - here is the unit, (my cat Sebastian is pointing out the power cables!)

2.jpg

Pull your stereo out so you can access the connections at the back and simply unplug your cars arial cable, and replace it with the cable from the modulator

3.jpg

Then plug your cars arial cable into the female arial adaptor on the modulator

5.jpg

Next, you need to power the modulator, it just needs a positive 12v and an earth so I just attached it to a cig lighter adaptor as I already have a multi outlet hidden up in the passenger footwell with a spare slot.

You could either do the same and use the socket in the passenger footwell or just use a 12v from the headunit.

The modulator I have also has a switch meaning it can be manually turned on and off (if you listen to the radio it needs to be turned off) So put the switch somewhere you can get to it and just hide the wires. I never listen to the radio so just leave it on, In my test the radio works fine with it left on also.

6.jpg

Finally, hide all the wires and simply run the 3.5mm jack to wherever you want. Mine just comes out in the passenger footwell as thats where i mount my phone, but you could easily run it into the cubby hole or wherever you prefer.

7.jpg

The last step, just tune your radio into the correct frequency and test it out. I'm happy with the result. There is no radio interference at all and the sound quality is fine, around the same quality as listening to the radio!

So now you have an aux in that is neat and tidy!

Slight update, I bought an extension aux cable and decided to run the wire to under the ashtray, I then drilled a small hole in the bottom of the ashtray and fed the wire up, so now when not in use I can hide the wire in the ashtray so it's out of sight...

Photo15-12-2012034212PM_zps06e43627.jpg

Photo15-12-2012034029PM_zps2e5feae7.jpg

Photo15-12-2012034329PM_zpsa8e27cf8.jpg

Photo15-12-2012034348PM1_zpsad1f619a.jpg

Hope this helps :-)

Dan

Edited by D8NMT