how to treat this small chip which has a small bit of rust on it

wizurd

hi all

but of a long title sorry. I'll get a pic up in the morning but I've found a small chip that's on the edge of the paint work above the passenger side rear quarter window. It could have only happened this week. Basically it's about 3mm in diameter. but there is a small bit of rust in the centre of it. I want it sorted ASAP and I'm getting a chip repair paint from nissan for a small chip on the bonnet but how do I sort this easily and quickly before it gets any worse. can I simply remove this probably 2-3mm of rust and then use the chip repair kit from nissan to cover it back up or am I looking at getting a respray just over that section? If it is gonna be a respray how can I protect it to stop it getting any worse until I can get the car in? gutted its even there but having read about the thinness of the 350's paint its not surprising.

hey thrifty. that list sounds like a good idea to me to fix it. where did you get the fibre glass pen from and also where did you get the base coat from? I want to get it sorted this week so it doesn't spread or anything.

here's the offending chip. poxy thing

It's not even my car anymore and i'm upset for you :surrender: Pretty sure as suggested above, .de rust and touch up is the best option as luckily it's right on the edge. A bit of time and patience and it should be hardly noticeable but like you say best to get it sorted asap.

Gutted mate. feel bad as well since never had one chip while you owned it! sorry. cannot understand how that got chipped as well. Will be getting the paint for the small chip on the bonnet Tuesday. so ill be doing it then hopefully although I may well do the first stage and get the rust off and treated tomorrow since I reckon that would help protect it a bit better. anyway washed the car and she's not got any other issues so that's good :)

Gutted mate. feel bad as well since never had one chip while you owned it! sorry.

That's because I never had chance to drive it! :lol::p As you've said the paint and corrosion protection seems to be a downside to these cars. Just keep on top of it and don't ignore it.

Main thing is you are actually getting some use and enjoyment out of it, so don't become a "Stress Head" like my son accused me of being with it!

lol i can see how easy it is to become a stress head with the car. I just tell myself its no big deal. I can sort little chips and if I want a respray I can do that down the line. really enjoying driving her that's for sure!

Chris (Keyser) helped me out... so I will give you the run down of the approach I'll be taking.

1. Fibreglass pen you should be able to get from Halfrauds in the Bodywork area

2. Rust treatment, again you could get from Halfrauds (called KURUST)

3. Primer was recommended to me - Was told I'd need an etch primer so I grabbed some from eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280835296747?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649)

4. Touchup pen should have the paint/clearcoat, I might cut the pen open so I can just use a very fine paintbrush and get a better finish.

cheers Thrifty (and Keyser) - off to halfords for the pen today and the kurust.

ordering the primer from eBay - just wait on the touch up pen now. Will get some pics when its done assuming it doesn't look like a 2 year olds finger painting when i'm finished with it lol

cheers Thrifty (and Keyser) - off to halfords for the pen today and the kurust.

ordering the primer from eBay - just wait on the touch up pen now. Will get some pics when its done assuming it doesn't look like a 2 year olds finger painting when i'm finished with it lol

Let me know how you get on, be interesting to see the quality of job. I'm still waiting for my pen, but I'll hopefully do it next Saturday/Sunday as the primer needs 24 hours.

im wondering if mine was due to the really really heavy hail we had when I was down in Tenby last week with the car. wonder if yours might be due to the same? assuming you've had crap weather like that.

only owned my zed 3 weeks or so I think but ill be using the pen and trying to sort it in the next day or so otherwise it's going to get worse.

lol getting a cover this week so she'll be safer then thankfully :)

when it started hailing at 2 in the morning in Tenby I was seriously thinking about trying to find somewhere to park her under cover. no idea if it was that really but fingers crossed the fix will come out well. I'll post up pics so people can see.

I was thinking the same regarding the sanding. Would be interested to hear anyone else's experience in doing this though especially the sanding technique since i've never had to do this in the past. Got the touchup paint kit from Nissan at lunchtime - £6.30, not bad.

ok removed the small spot of rust with the fibre glass pen. used the kruzt and think that's done. I've then got the primer on and Iver covered it all. so tomorrow maybe another dab of primer then use the Nissan touch up kit. interesting instructions with the kit as it says to put slightly more of the base colour on than is needed so that after 15mins you can use the material dabber that's on top of the bottle containing the base colour to kind of rub off the excess paint. Once done just add a dab of top coat let it set. and I think polish after 48 hours. Attached a pick of the kit just Incase anyone is interested. One question for anyone. what sandpaper would you use just to smooth this small area of primer. its tiny so would need something very fine just to smooth the primer.

post-17351-13525751156_thumb.jpg

just wanted to post up the end pic. happyish with the finish. If i can get two clear days with ok temps I might sand back to the primer and re do the top coat and clear coat because it's not perfect. but not to bad for a first attempt I think.

post-17351-135306017974_thumb.jpg

Thanks its not a bad result and shine wise it blends in with the rest of the paint. I may sand it back and do the colour and clear coat again though because I can see a tiny lighter speck in there.

I know what you mean about the weather. I made up a little cover from plastic and used low tack tape to hold it all together while I let it dry for a day or two. that was just for the primer really though. The Nissan paint set really quick.

You'll have to send over some pics of before and after you've done it.