Is this the worst bumper in the world?

Sarnie

Trev - I'm getting my Caymans and my Cayennes mixed up. The Cayman = v. nice... Cayenne = hideous freak

Ferrari are supposed to be making a 4x4 next, you know...

Its a bit like Marmite making toothpaste...

No they both suck. Porsche is a sports car company (allegedly) and yet they've built a 4x4 and a "sports" car that is slower than a Honda Civic Type R :wacko:

Trev - I'm getting my Caymans and my Cayennes mixed up. The Cayman = v. nice... Cayenne = hideous freak

No they both suck. Porsche is a sports car company (allegedly) and yet they've built a 4x4 and a "sports" car that is slower than a Honda Civic Type R :wacko:

So what does that make Nissan who build a bit of everthing?

So what does that make Nissan who build a bit of everthing?

Fair question....no good answer

I guess I get upset, for no good reason, that Porsche markets itself so heavily on being a premium sports brand that is essentially an aspiration marque. They have created, love them or loathe them, some of the finest engineering products money can buy. And then they produce these two models, so obviously dictated by the marketing dept over what the engineering could have achieved and somehow illusions that I held on what they stood for are broken. It's irrational, because clearly they're a business that wants to grow and they'll do that any way they can, and that's how BMW etc. have done so well over the last few decades. My point, if there is one, is simply that these two cars are flawed examples from a line that is otherwise simply superb, and for my money, they're an anathema to the vision of the every-day super car. Nissan, by contrast, has created some very good "bog standard" cars that you wouldn't look twice at and occasionally pulls a rabbit out of the hat by creating something like the Z cars that totally go against the grain. In fact that's probably as good an explanation as I can give, both have done something up expected it's just that Nissan's is entirely welcome whilst the Porsche "innovations" really aren't.....does that make sense? As flackmonkey says, marmite flavoured toothpaste.

There's no question imo that the Cayenne and the Cayman were products of the marketing department, but is that a bad thing? The end product from manufacturers such as Porsche is usually a compromise between what engineering wants to do, what design can accomodate and what marketing believes the punter wants. Don't get me wrong I'm no fan of the Cayenne, but with both BMW and Mercedes producing 4x4s, Porche could'nt afford to ignore that sector of the market. The Cayman however is a different kettle of fish imo. Apart from the price, I'm a hugh fan. It has already been admitted by Porsche that if they were to fit an LSD, the Cayman would be capable of lapping most circuits faster than the 911. This is a good example of why marketing need to keep a reign on what engineering are doing if they are not to shoot themselves in the foot through technical excellence.

I think actually you've hit the nail on the head....the price they're charigning for the product they're selling is over inflated to match the kudos of the badge....and inflated to the point where you're paying at least £10k for the badge alone. But clearly marketing dept need to have a say and to control the engineering teams but it's just so contrived.