Newbie buying a tiptronic import, help please

Gts-tom

Hello all I'm new to 350z's and was contemplating buying this one http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Now I've been doing some research and I know of some of the things to look for but not found lots of information on imports and the tiptronic box, assuming this one is cheaper because its an import. I own a 600+hp R32 GTR at the moment but its a bit of a pig to live with and wanted something more comfortable/practable/economical hence the auto box and being a bit of a tart the soft top. Not looking to spend fortunes but don't want to buy a dud, any advice would help greatly.

Cheers, Tom

I just paid £9700 for my import B). That looks like a proper import though (all jap stuff) - Could you live with the GPS etc in Japanese? From what I hear the stock GPS isn't that good anyway (no postcode entry).

The Japanese service history would turn me off - But that's a lot of car for not a lot of money. Also there's no GT options on that, surely you can find a UK one for similar price?

The trip box is smooth as butter though, and kick down is nice.

If you can't find a decent import and can settle for manual... http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Not really worried about the nav to be honest but the milage looks good as long as its been looked after and the guy said he has owned it for 2 years. It has a few scuffs on the body but mechanically sound so he says..... Would it be obvious if it hasn't been run on super unleaded.

Mileage doesn't matter if it's been looked after. Plenty of people on here have 100-200k mileage cars with low bills (yes it shocked me too).

Only way to tell would be inspecting the log book and seeing what's been changed? And how regularly it was done... I'm sure some of the people familiar with the engine here could tell you some signs to look out for.

Hi

bought my import 2005 in Jan this year. Tiptronic is fantastic, so smooth. Kickdown works fast and strong. Better in sport mode with traction off!! You can then choose when to change gear at what revs ( my best acceleration reached using no traction, sport mode and changing at 6200 rpm!)

Fuel economy? if you need to worry then dont buy a 350Z/fairlady !

I get 22mpg around town, 25 on a run and 26.5 when driven like a old lady using as light throttle as you can. They are not fuel economic engines as they are very nearly maxd out on power without turbo,s. There are mods which may help but not enough for economy saving to warrant the cost.

Very easy to service yourself and parts available ( Zmanalex ) at good prices, he has helped me get some parts for mine with no hassle/probs.

Yes know what you mean about single digit MPG..did a track day ay Donnington in my 94 Vette and returned 6.5MPG chasing a Gt40 for 8 laps ( couldnt catch him on the straights but outbraked/outcornered him on the twisty bits!

Would now love to have another go at him in a 370Z with its great handling cornering ability.Would be watching him in my rear view mirror!

JohnUKVetteNut

Hi

bought my import 2005 in Jan this year. Tiptronic is fantastic, so smooth. Kickdown works fast and strong. Better in sport mode with traction off!! You can then choose when to change gear at what revs ( my best acceleration reached using no traction, sport mode and changing at 6200 rpm!)

Fuel economy? if you need to worry then dont buy a 350Z/fairlady !

I get 22mpg around town, 25 on a run and 26.5 when driven like a old lady using as light throttle as you can. They are not fuel economic engines as they are very nearly maxd out on power without turbo,s. There are mods which may help but not enough for economy saving to warrant the cost.

Rubbish, there are very unstressed engines. They are very economic also as upto 30-31mpg can be had.

Check for rust.

Check the once warm/hot the gearbox kickdowns easily. Check the sport mode and it should kick down quicker. Test the triptronic ( faux manual and make sure it goes into each gear). Beeping in reverse is normal they are NOT parking sensors :lol:

I cant see which car it is does it have brembos? Check the cd player as it will probably skip. See if it has folding mirrors when locking and tilting mirrors when reversing. The car will most likely be silent but this is the way JDM's came. Roof etc needs to be checked. windows should go up and down fine on passenger and drivers side.

Anything else just let me know :thumbs:

Import cars should have Kaizen (youll know about this if youve got a GTR) so as long as that was there when it was boated over you dont need to worry so much about the jap history :)

Ive not tried the tip box myself, but seeing as I only just get on with a GTR I dont expect to like it, any reason you not looking at a manual? :shrug:

Was meant to go up today but my wife's grandad died so not really in the mood to go and have a look at cars. Sure there will be others.

Sorry to hear that Tom, if it makes any difference my Uncle died today also in Manchester.

Sorry to hear about your uncle to mate. Believe it or not but her grandad is better off now as he'd been ill for a while.

Import cars should have Kaizen (youll know about this if youve got a GTR) so as long as that was there when it was boated over you dont need to worry so much about the jap history :)

Ive not tried the tip box myself, but seeing as I only just get on with a GTR I dont expect to like it, any reason you not looking at a manual? :shrug:

I use to have a tiptronic FTO and apart from it being a little slow and the gearbox a bit lazy when rushed I loved it. Theyre a little long in the tooth now and the zed is more up to date so would really like a lazier car to drive with some creature comforts.

Do UK models also have auto boxes as well.