Integrated phone cradle compartment floor replacement.

Space Cadet

In the compartment under my left elbow in the centre consol is a cradle for a mobile phone; it’s fixed to a removable floor of the compartment. The floor has a square piece missing out of one corner where the cable for the phone passes through.

Anyway, is it possible to replace the floor panel with just a plain piece without the fixing for the phone cradle and the square missing?

I have phoned the dealer and it looks like the original part is a cup-holder?

I would really like to make use of the space but don’t want to put a cup-holder in and obviously want to buy an OEM part.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

If I’m correct you don’t want the hole and 25mm sq showing. If that’s the problem and you don’t want the useless cup holder, then buy a cheap rubber mat and trim it to size that’s what I have done.

Thanks, yes that's correct, I had assumed that the car must have come with a plain piece for the floor and then owners can afterwards replace it with the phone cradle piece.

Anyway, the dealer parts department has actually faxed me a diagram showing that the OEM replacement for the cradle is a cup holder!!??

As you can tell I’ve bought the car 2nd hand and assumed that the phone cradle piece must have been an option, but did it actually come as standard??

Good idea about the mat, I’m not averse to doing something like that, just wanted to do it properly if possible with an OEM part.

If yours came with a phone cradle then it ended up on eBay with the rest. This is a quick £40 as no dealer checks on trade in and offers one at resale.

You can pick up phone cradles on eBay all the time this could be a good option, but with Bluetooth just as good most don’t.

martin have YOU got a normal mat in there, sicne your's an import?

since in the US there's no such option as handsfree, they might have the right part?

also IIRC from the old board, another option is to move the cradle attachment out of the way on one side..... was it GUS who did it?

Thanks, it’s obviously not a massive problem, I had already thought about taking the cradle off and then putting a piece of mat or something in there, but just wondered about buying an OEM piece.

The car is an ex-demo UK car, the steering wheel actually has little buttons for the hands-free set-up so I assume it came with at least the loom for the phone cradle if not also the cradle itself.

Like I said, apparently the only thing appearing on the dealer part-department schematic is a cup holder arrangement, not even the piece that the phone cradle attaches to.

So do all the UK cars come with this phone cradle piece, or do some come with the cup holder or do some in fact come without either and hopefully the plain piece I need?

Thanks for your help.