Disputing an Advert on eBay

geoff-r

Just after a few pointers on where I stand here. I have a knackered driveshaft on my Audi A3 Quattro and I purchased a complete new driveshaft from a company on eBay. It turned up and it was wrong, fair enough I called the company and they were nice enough about it so I returned it for a full refund. I then had to purchase one that was specifically for a Quattro as stated on the advert. This is the advert (I've had to give a screenshot as the advert has changed since I purchased the item):

a59a7a32.jpg

Now that advert clearly states the application and fitment to my 2003 Audi A3 Quattro 1.9 TDI. I purchased and paid and within 5 minutes I had an email asking for my registration so I replied and then had a call about 2 hours later saying the driveshaft wouldn't fit my car. I tried to explain to the guy that it would and my car was listed on the advert but he was adamant it would not fit my car. Anyway he said that what he would do is order me 2 CV joints to fit to the original shaft on mine, this cost a bit more but he didn't mind absorbing the cost which I thought was odd. Anyway this is the advert as it now stands, notice the addition that it does not fit Quattros but no alteration to the title of the advert, I thought I was going mad.

http://tinyurl.com/d73npjf

The further twist is that the company that sent me the CV joints (not his) is the company I returned the incorrect driveshaft to and the cost of the CV joints I received is as follows:

http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/audi-a3- ... new-99-03/ - £18.99

http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/audi-a3- ... w-2000-on/ - £18.99

So I have paid a guy with an incorrect listing that was altered after I purchased it £79.99 for something I could have purchased for £37.98! I'm fuming and to be fobbed off and told it cost a little more but don't worry. I have emailed him to ask for a £42 refund but where do I stand with eBay? I have effectively purchased something he didn't have and he changed the listing after I purchased it!

Phone ebay/paypal and explain exactly what you have told us. Even if the seller has now changed the advert your item will still display the listing as it was when you purchased the item, therefore you can show them that the seller has now altered the listing. If you bleat on using key words like "robbed, conned, scammed, I knew I shouldn't have used ebay, distressed, upset" etc they will bend over backwards and find in your favour.

Send the cv joints back (by recorded delivery) and demand a full refund as they were not what you actually wanted and ordered.

Ebay should find in your favour.

Then reorder the CV joints from the same seller if they will actually solve your problem.

Thanks for the input mate, I emailed the guy, he does have 97k in positive feedback so I am hoping he resolves this. He's emailed me back saying he will look in to it as the people he bought the CV joints off are a new supplier to him and the joints cost him £29.99 each plus £9.99 postage each! Bit surprised at that as they clearly retail at a lot less with free postage. Only time will tell but he's off for a few days as it's EDI at the moment. If I have no result I will escalate it as you say. Starting to lose faith in eBay, I've had some shocking experiences on there as of late.