Pre v's Post 350Z

Patch

Hey folks am a newbie to this forum,and looking to get a zed in the new year.

I have done some research and found out that in 2006? they did a facelift and added more power.

Now my question is,just how noticeable is the extra power of the later models?

How much would it take to bring an early model up to the same spec?

Just trying to work out if the extra road tax of the later models,is worth it in the long run,oh and i want one with GT pack :teeth:

Thanks in advance,

Adam

:welcome: and if you can stretch your budget go for 07 imo. :thumbs:

+1, imho, if you can go for a HR (with the bonnet bulge and 2 air intakes) then do so, otherwise I personally wouldn't be too tempted by the extra tax of the later pre HR cars.

The extra tax is nothing in comparison to the running costs and worth it just for the facelift exterior and upgrade interior and dash even if the op cant afford to go for the HR.

In standard form there isnt much between all 3 except visually and gearbox's in the revup and HR cars are much more reliable.

less tuning options for the HR. The revup will produce more power than the pre Revup once work is complete down to a variety of things including exhaust cam timing control etc.

Depends what your budget is and what you want the car for imo. These factors are the main deciding factors imo.

I don't mean to sound daft but what is HR?

From 02 to 05 the cars had the VQ35DE engine (276bhp)

From 06 to the end of 06 the cars had the VQ35DE rev-up which had revised variable valve timing and cams giving a higher rev limit and slightly more power (296bhp but apparently less torque through the range)

From 07 onwards the cars had the VQ35HR engine which according to Nissan is 80% different. It has twin intakes and an even higher rev limit and is significantly more powerful. (309bhp and more torque)

DB

From 06 to the end of 06 the cars had the VQ35DE rev-up which had revised variable valve timing and cams giving a higher rev limit and slightly more power (296bhp but apparently less torque through the range)

From 07 onwards the cars had the VQ35HR engine which according to Nissan is 80% different. It has twin intakes and an even higher rev limit and is significantly more powerful. (309bhp and more torque)

DB

On the dyno the revup has more torque with a little work. Ive yet to see a non revup engine make anywhere near the figures achieved on the revup cars. Except jez's at horsham which is a freak car.

There was alot more changes to the revup engine but not as much as the HR which is basically a full new engine.

DB

On the dyno the revup has more torque with a little work. Ive yet to see a non revup engine make anywhere near the figures achieved on the revup cars. Except jez's at horsham which is a freak car.

There was alot more changes to the revup engine but not as much as the HR which is basically a full new engine.

Yep, never driven a rev-up so can only go on the general concensus. I can easily believe that the rev-up responds better to tuning than the boggo DE because of the valve timing and cam tweaks.

DB

DB

Yep, never driven a rev-up so can only go on the general concensus. I can easily believe that the rev-up responds better to tuning than the boggo DE because of the valve timing and cam tweaks.

DB

Yeah but both DE models are still good for tuning. When you go to HR they can make big power without too much work, greekmans car ran 340 @ the flywheel but we reckon its due to the way he drives it since the day he took it out the wrapper lmao. With HR there is very limited supercharger/turbo options in the UK

Hmmm,tuning wise i probably won't do much,maybe exhaust and loose the cat.

The later VQ35HR engine does seem like the wise choice,since it has an extra 33bhp.To gain that from a 276 model will no doubt cost more than the extra road tax :thumbs:

Just how noticeable is the performance difference with the extra ponies?

Hmmm,tuning wise i probably won't do much,maybe exhaust and loose the cat.

The later VQ35HR engine does seem like the wise choice,since it has an extra 33bhp.To gain that from a 276 model will no doubt cost more than the extra road tax :thumbs:

Just how noticeable is the performance difference with the extra ponies?

Well it does have 33 extra bhp but the HR car weighs around 75kgs more than the 276 model, so the power to weight ratio isn't really that much better. For day to day driving there's not a huge amount of difference, however once the revs go over 5k then you do notice the extra grunt. Always worth getting the newest Zed you can afford TBH, the newest 276 models are getting on for seven years old now and most will have had several owners, one owner 276's are getting fairly scarce these days.

Pete