Urgent Belt Question

adam1942

Hey Folks

I'm in the middle of doing my belts and I got the gates 4PK948 (alt belt) and 6PK1173 (main belt) however this belt seems to be ever so slightly longer than the belt coming off! This is a little strange because the belt coming off is worn so I expected it to be longer than the new one?

Anyway I went ahead and fitted the belt assuming I could just tighten the pulley tensioner slightly more and the car started and ran fine until I turned on aircon + rear window demister + lights to see if I could put load on the alternator which caused the squealing..

two main questions

1) Is there a different belt for the 300 revup engine than the normal DE?

2) The pulleys where getting warm to touch which I wasn't expecting. Is this because the belts are too lose?

OK guys.. seems I wasn't tightening it enough.. I think there was rust on the pivot screw as I just pushed on (worried about snapping the head off) and a bit of rust fell off and I could tighten it.. rain has stopped play but I tested before coming in and the noise only happened when I let the car idle and turned everything on.. then revved it :) getting there just a little more... Thanks for the help guys - I really do appreciate it :)

And my last post on this today guys - The belt started to squeel again after a quick drive (checked tension and it was still the same and couldn't tighten..) anyway went down to my local motor factors and bought a belt that was 8MM shorter and so far its perfect.

For info the belt I got was a Continental Contitech 6PK 1165 and on first start it was perfect :)

And my last post on this today guys - The belt started to squeel again after a quick drive (checked tension and it was still the same and couldn't tighten..) anyway went down to my local motor factors and bought a belt that was 8MM shorter and so far its perfect.

For info the belt I got was a Continental Contitech 6PK 1165 and on first start it was perfect :)

Must be something odd with your pulleys or pulley sizes.

Are you sure that the tensioner adjusting bolts are sitting correctly in there bridles?