Anyone ever manufactured anything? Help wanted...

twobears

This is a bit of a long shot but nothing ventured nothing gained and all that! Has anyone got any experience of designing and manufacturing a product? I am asking because, although I lack the talent to do either, I would like to hire someone to design and manufacture some baby toys for me. However, given the onerous burden of complying with the relevant safety regs. I am not sure how viable it is? I have still got the option to go ahead with Plan A, which is to get a third party to sort everything out for me but I would really like to do (or cause to have done) the work myself if it is at all possible because I want the flexibility to do short product runs without committing myself to thousands of pieces of product that might not sell.

No idea how much sense the foregoing will make to anyone? I shall await the tumbleweed but, like I said, it's worth asking the question sometimes :thumbs:

Thanks sunb12. I have Googled like a good 'un all day but I agree that there's plenty of scope to do more :thumbs: I've got a business advisor coming to see me later this week but I'm not convinced he'll have done anything other than Google it himself. We'll see :dry::)

I'm assuming if it's baby toys it'll either be material or plastic.

I have no experience in manufacturing but it might be worth getting a 3rd party to do the basics (design and prototype) then you can get it manufactured from there in the production runs required.

I guess the first thing you need to do though is make sure there is a niche in the market or that your product brings something to the table that others don't. There is no point committing anything financially if it's not viable in the first place.

Hi,

I am a design engineer and this is something I have some experience in and im Happy to give help if I can.

Few things though it isn't 'cheap' to do. One off models can be very costly that's why the more you make the lower the piece cost. What exactly are you thinking? Size, materials colours etc?