Navara: Help required please

Builder49

I make no secret of the fact that my vehicle related knowledge is pretty poor....... I can change a wheel, put in fuel and turn the ignition key, and thats my technical limit... :blush:

My 61 plate Navara is flashing the low oil symbol to me, and has been for the last couple of days :scare:

Now even I figured I could put oil in (and indeed I do know where it goes), but the type of oil is giving me a headache as I dont understand the mumbo-jumbo :(

I'll quote from the owners manual.....

With DPF engine:

Genuine NISSAN engine oil *1

ACEA C3 and C4 LOW ASH 5W-30 HTHS 3.5 *1

Without DPF engine:

Genuine NISSAN engine oil

API grade CF-4 *1 *3

ACEA B1, B3, B4, B5 *1

Can somebody tell me what the hell that means in English (Scottish, Welsh or Irish)

I'm happy to admit I'm a numpty, but I can do other things that are not vehicle related very well :D

Thanks in advance guys, (and feel free to take the p**s at my lack of knowledge), but better to ask than put something wrong in a vehicle with only 5000mls on it.

i hope for your sake it oil level indicator and not oil pressure indicator. Normally its oil pressure. If it is and you've been driving around with it like that you may have goosed your engine.

does your car have a DPF? This is a diesel particulate filter (part of the exhaust)

if it does then you want some 5W-30 oil for Diesel Engines

Cheers Mike.

Its the oil pressure/level warning light. Only flashes for less than 30 seconds when I turn the ignition on, and only started about 3 days ago.

As for the DPF thing? How do I know or find out?????? :headhurt:

when the light comes on that basically means your running now oil around all the essential parts. Your grinding metal against metal with no oil to lubricate and to prevent damage.

Level is a very different thing to pressure. How does it let you know if its level or pressure? Is it on start up it tells you the level then when running it pressure?

edit...

just seen you reply while I was typing.

5w-30 it is then :thumbs:

Make sure you buy an oil meeting the nissan specs for that engine. If it has a dpf fitted (would imagine it has on a 61' plate) and you put the wrong oil it, it will cause excessive soot to build up in the diesel particulate filter and block the filter. Leading possibly to a costly repair