Exhaust join question (laziness inside)

docwra

So driving back from Le Mans my Zed started sounding pretty awesome ......... the tunnels were something special but there was obviously something up with it. It seems Ive seperated the final join where the exhaust meets the stub that comes out of the backbox, after a quick investigate there seems to be a bracket fixing it to the car at the same place.

Unfortunately the car is so low I cant get to it without putting it on ramps, so does anyone know from memory what sort of fitting it is?? Is it a push type with a clamp round it or something else? Im actually considering having it welded back up but with a small gap so it keeps making awesome noises - need it done in the next week as Im on track weekend after next :)

Are you on about the back box and centre pipe joint?

I had mine off the other day; there is a flange joint between the centre pipe and the back box but the back box has a hangar on the opposite side to the joint. I ended up unbolting the brackets from the car (except for the RH rear) as I couldn't work the rubbers off by hand.

I didn't have a ramp but i jacked it up from the rear diff and then put axle stands under the sills (in the jacking points at the rear). Its not that bad but the bolts weren't too seized.

Very common place for corrosion, if its anything like mine was your gonna have one hell of a time trying to weld it up.

Perfect excuse for a new system if you ask me, if you like the noise now i'd reccomend the scorpion system. I've just put one on mine and the sound is awesome and the quality is top notch for the price.

Nice one - I think number 9 is what Im missing, the centre pipe pushes into the backbox but then falls back out again, either that or the flange has totally detached from centre pipe or backbox. Ill see if I cant have a better look tomorrow morning, hope its the former rather than the latter :thumbs:

The car is verrrry low, I need to put the wheels on ramped bit of wood before I can get a jack under the diff and as mentioned in title, Im lazy :D

As for replacing the exhaust, Im not sure there is anything out there that will make it sound like it does at the moment, its incredible - really high pitched but quite meaty with it.