Family car advice...

DannyBoy

So one of the family cars recently gave up (Saab 900S, spectacular bottom end failure at 120K miles), and a replacement is needed. The criteria really is that it can seat 4 people for short journeys, is very reliable, and can be had for under £4k with less then 80K on the clock. We already have a VW Sharan as a family bus, so this is really only to have a sensible second car for other family members to use as none of them are insured on the Zed. It will need to be used for occasional long business-related journeys for one or two people, so a dirt-cheap hatchback shed won't really cut it.

The two options I've narrowed it down to are an E46 320/325 (good to drive, nice to be in, very reliable, lots on the market) or an EP3 Civic Type-S 4 door (good to drive, very reliable, lots of bang for buck). I've gone on second-hand knowledge here and don't have any experience of either car 'in the flesh' so could anyone offer any wisdom on either choice? Or is there another really obvious option that I've missed?

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

DB