Can anyone help with this headlight problem..

Hannahbtw

I really don't know what has caused this, and how it may be rectified... I'm terrified of having to fork out for two new whole units (as I've heard that they aren't cheap!)

The casing appears to be scratched/cracked in loads of different places on both lights, but its on the reverse side of the casing (if you know what I mean) i.e I can run my hand over the outward surface and its smooth, the cracks/crazing/whatever it is, is on the underneath (inside the unit)

What the hell is it? And how would it be caused? More importantly...can it be solved!? Or is this something I'm just gonna have to put up with for the sake of saving my pennies! lol!

DSC05079.jpg

DSC05078.jpg

DSC05077.jpg

DSC05076.jpg

DSC05075.jpg

Thanks for looking at this guys (and girls!) :)

Hannah x

I nominate "Nucleate" as word of the day!! :p

Adjective

nucleate (comparative more nucleate, superlative most nucleate)

Having a nucleus; nucleated

Verb

nucleate (third-person singular simple present nucleates, present participle nucleating, simple past and past participle nucleated)

To form (into) a nucleus, or to act as a nucleus

Related terms nucleation

Noun

nucleate (plural nucleates)

Any salt of a nucleic acid.

No to parking on the road....on a gated (locked) driveway.....

These were present when I bought the car, didn't really pay attention to them when I viewed/test drove...but obviously since I've got the car home I'm starting to look for all the niggles and stuff..lol! :blackeye:

Hannah x

The worst thing of owning a nice car, every week you find some little chip/crack/scratch!

Its not UV damage for sure

Forensic analysis: :p

Im gonna say that because the part is manufactured through injection moulding it can be seen that the cracks show the direction of the polymer melt direction. Chain allignment has caused anisotropic (strong in one direction, hash in another) properties. The headlights have had a good hitting my something and causing the cracks to nucleate between the longitudinal flows and propagate into the long lines you now see. Further stress e.g from vibrations e.g driving has caused the lines to get long and wider, hence more noticeable.

Will need replacing.