High pitched squeal on cold start

Cemetery

Hi there,

I have been getting a really high pitched squeal from the engine when starting the car up. It tends to disappear after 10-15 seconds (potentially/coincidentally it seems to go away quicker when I get in gear & start moving). I have had a look around online & the likely culprit is going to be the Alternator belt being loose. Everywhere seems to suggest this is quite easy to fix but given I have no tools & am a car noob I think I will get a garage to sort this. My questions are:

- Could it be something else?

- Will it cause an issue driving it in the meantime?

- How much should I expect to be charged for a garage to fix it?

Cheers,

Adam.

Gates upgraded belts are in stock and good to go same/next day :thumbs:

They are very easy to swop out, 10 mins to get the undertray off and back on again and 10 mins to swop out the belts.

You will not do any damage running with squealing belts, however best to change the belts asap.

Drop me a PM if I can help you further mate :thumbs:

In stock and good to go same/nex day :thumbs:

Alex :)

Do you think it is a case new belts will be needed then or just tightened?

Also if replacing is it best to replace multiple belts at the same time? I think one link I checked mentioned a power steering belt but it ended up being the alternator belt.

Also if replacing is it best to replace multiple belts at the same time? I think one link I checked mentioned a power steering belt but it ended up being the alternator belt.

Best just to replace both belts and get it done with mate, they are not expensive :thumbs:

Alex :)

For what little they cost, I would be inclined to do both, peace of mind then knowing they’ve both been done at the same time, and the belts are in the same area too… :thumbs:

Mine squeaked a couple of months after being replaced and just needed the tension adjusting but they were reasonably new.

Check the belts for any cracking etc. But given how cheap belts are if in doubt swap em out..... ;)