Can anyone diagnose this noise (video)

sunshine

Hi all,

I've got a 54plate VQ35DE with 94,000miles on the clock.

I've owned the car for about a year and since i've owned it its always made this noise from the transmission when the clutch is disengaged...

It's never got worse so i've never really looked into whats causing it.

All the gears select no problem and the clutch operates with no issues.

Is this a common issue or am i unique?

To be honest i wouldn't mind finding out what the problem is so i can fix it, im getting pretty tired of people asking me if im supercharged :drive1

And yes i need fuel :)

Thanks.

Tom

Mine make a nose when the cluch isn't prest in, but not the same nose, mine also drives and gose through the gears just fine, had mine 2 years now.

It could be the cluch release bearing :shrug:

I'm sure some one on here will know.

Mine make a nose when the cluch isn't prest in, but not the same nose, mine also drives and gose through the gears just fine, had mine 2 years now.

It could be the cluch release bearing :shrug:

I'm sure some one on here will know.

You're right its the clutch release bearing. it went on mine too. No point replacing it till you need a new clutch.

I did think this but my understanding was I thought release bearings were noisy when the pedal is pressed down? :wacko:

I had the release bearing die in my last car (shitroen saxo) that was like that.

I've not seen the clutch setup on a zed, are the bearings thrust bearings?

That may explain why it sounds like a dried out bearing with no load (pedal released) and why the noise is eliminated when its under load (pedal is pressed).

Thanks for helping.

Not sure about anyone else but it sounds like the gearbox to me, my understanding is;

Clutch engaged (pedal up) - gearbox shafts spinning, thrust bearing stopped

Clutch disengaged (pedal down) - gearbox not spinning, thrust bearing under pressure and turning.

The last time I was unfortunate enough to hear that noise under those conditions (not in my zed thankfully) I had to replace the box. If it is I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I hope it helps you get it sorted :)

Just to add to my last post, if you listen carefully you can hear the lag time between the cluch pedal being pressed and the noise stopping. As far as I can tell this is the time taken for the heavy gearbox components to wind down an shed their momentum, again not symptomatic of a thrust bearing where you would expect the noise to stop instantly.

Hey buddy.

I'm not 100% but I'm quite sure the thrust bearing is always spinning.

Pedal not pressed, clutch engaged, thrust bearing being spun by input shaft.

Pedal pressed, clutch disengaged, thrust bearing being spun by diaphragm spring.

The noise does stop instantly when the pedals dropped down, even when the car is rolling. Which I think rules out the chance of it being the gearbox bearings and they are always going to be spinning when the car is in motion, regardless of whether the clutch is in or out (unless in neutral)

I hope that makes sense.

I'll know 100% next week when I replace the clutch, I'll happily come back and let you know if I'm wrong!

Thanks for the input though mate.

• 2 weeks later...