Gear and diff oil change

Mrdeli

I am aware that this topic has been discussed.

I have been researching the above for a couple of hours.

My car is 05 with 79k. I'm not sure if it will have had the oils changed or not (service history is at work). The car drives fine but wondering the following:

1. Is it worth changing them?

2. Does changing make shifting smoother (mines pretty smooth as is)

3. Is it best to use oem oils

There seems to be a lot of conflicting posts where people's trannys actually feel worst after, but I'm thinking that they may have changed oil to try and solve an underlying problem.

So in my instance, where there is no problem, is it likely to make the shifting even better, or am I best just to leave alone.

Thanks

Mark

1) I couldn't see the harm in it, I'm going to be doing both my Gearbox and Diff oils this time home. Fresh oil is always nice

2) Adding molyslip to the gearbox oil has been known by other users to ease gear shifting and make it much smoother. I'll be trying this this time home, will be sharing my results :thumbs:

Thanks guys.

It's funny how different people's opinions are on the type of oil...

Some say that using oem and moly slip made it worse!

Amsoil seems to get good all round feedback - but I guess oem can't get you into trouble.

Think I'll do it myself too - so ill see how you get on. Thanks

29k 2007 and did mine last week. Zmanalex helped me out with the fluids and moly slip. Made a noticeable difference. Easy job mate, I used the lifts in a DIY garage and have to say it was geat for the small extra cost. :thumbs:

I can't speak for the diff oil as I've not changed Mine, but as Beavis says above you should always use oem fluids.

I changed my gearbox fluid a few months ago... A very easy job you can do yourself but to be honest I didn't notice any difference, despite my clunky gearbox.