Entire Engine Bay clean up!! Help!!!!

dunc1n1101

hi folks,

Ive had my zed for about 3 weeks now and ive got a bit of time off from work so i want to spruce up the car a bit.

First thing i want to do is give whole engine bay a major clean up BUT Im not really sure where to start. Ive looked through a couple of the tpoics and ive got a rough idea of holw to get strted but there is a couple of things that i am still not sure aboout and im hoping you guys can help me.

1. One of the things that makes my engine bay look tired is a lot of my bolts are oxidized or rusty, is there a way to clean these up or am i best just replacing them? If i do replace them all, what type of coating should be on the new bolts that i buy to stop them rusting/oxidizing?

2. My bottles are filthy (the window washer bottle etc), and they are looking kinda yellow, how can i get these back to their original colour?

3. some other random steel bits are a bit rusty or oxidized (i.e The twisted metal bar that holds my pop charger to the engine bay). How can i get them back to being all clean and shiny?

4. My pop charger heat shield is a bit messy, i scrubbed it a little with WD40 but it took the gold colour off it. Is this a special cotaing that the heatshield requires? Or can i go ahead and scrub the whole thing removing ALL the gold colour coating?

Any help is greatly appreciated folks

Thanks in advance

Dunc1n

1. One of the things that makes my engine bay look tired is a lot of my bolts are oxidized or rusty, is there a way to clean these up or am i best just replacing them? If i do replace them all, what type of coating should be on the new bolts that i buy to stop them rusting/oxidizing?

It might be possible to tidy them up but it'll take forever if you're doing a few. It would be easiest to replace with anodized bolts in a colour of your choice.

2. My bottles are filthy (the window washer bottle etc), and they are looking kinda yellow, how can i get these back to their original colour?

Either fine (1200 or so) wet and dry or paint them in a colour that matches/contrasts the pretty new bolts you've just bought.

3. some other random steel bits are a bit rusty or oxidized (i.e The twisted metal bar that holds my pop charger to the engine bay). How can i get them back to being all clean and shiny?

Metal polish, fine steel wool and some elbow grease. Or a machine polish if you have one.

4. My pop charger heat shield is a bit messy, i scrubbed it a little with WD40 but it took the gold colour off it. Is this a special cotaing that the heatshield requires? Or can i go ahead and scrub the whole thing removing ALL the gold colour coating?

I could hazard a guess at that one but it'd only be a guess, so I'll leave that one to someone who knows better than I.