wiper arms,removal

zebedee8

i have tried to remove wiper arms i order to sand down a respray because of corrosion issues but cannot get them to release from the holding nut,tried various things, wd40,moving wiper arms,brute force to no avail,looks like a visit to nissan for new wiper arms,

i have tried to remove wiper arms i order to sand down a respray because of corrosion issues but cannot get them to release from the holding nut,tried various things, wd40,moving wiper arms,brute force to no avail,looks like a visit to nissan for new wiper arms,

They do stick on the splines.Loosen the nut,then you need an assistant if you haven't got a puller tool.

Apply outwards force underneath the arms via a screwdriver or better still, a pry bar.At the same time the other person should apply a suitable drift to the end of the wiper spindle and give the drift a good tap with a hammer to unstick the arm from the splines on the spindle.This worked for me,but be careful not to damage anything.

Obviously it's best to remove the blades from the arms first,since they get in the way when carrying out the above.

There was no pin when I removed my wiper arms ...

I just removed the plastic cap and the nut ... and then wigled the arm around while tryingto lift it away from the window ..

It does require some patience ... I think it took me about 20 minutes to get both off ... after a few cigarettes and lots of bad language...

:thumbs:

• 1 month later...

Soak it in wd40, push and pull the wiper towards and away from the window, you'll find that once you know how far towards and away it goes it you push/pull the wiper to the centre of that distance it will slide off, if you pull it back or push it forward all the way it will feel like its welded on and you need to pull, dont do it! Find that centre point and it'll pop off, I spend ages trying and tugging and what not, no luck, found the centre point, pops off in a few seconds.

You dont need any tool mate.

After removing the nut just press down flat on the wiper arm (not wiper blade) about midway of its lenght on the windscreen and the wiper arm just pops off the spline ;) .

It not magic but by pressing down on the arm it aligns the spline shaft with the spline grooves on the wiper arm so it comes off no fuss. Pulling etc just jams it tight as it angles the arm onto the spline. There is usually no need for WD40 as the splines are protected by the weatherproof plastic cap over the spline nut but there is no harm to squirt a bit before you give it a go :thumbs:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...