scrubbing up the engine bay

dunc1n1101

Hi Folks

Just newly bought a 350z. I got it for a great price because it needs work done (visually).

Along with a few other things that I want to get working on straight away, is scrubbing up the engine bay. I want everything in there clean and shiny! Can anyone reccommend any good cleaning products and cleaning methods/tips???

My engine cover (the steel part) is looking a bit oxidized (see attached pic), whats the best way to get this back to looking nice and sparkly....... or at least half decent.

Cheers

Personally I find it easiest to remove as many parts as possible/practical and clean them individually, clean the bit they were in, and then put it back together. Most of the plastic trim can be removed in order to get the sh!t out of the nook and crannies, and the strut bar, airbox and pipe are also easy to remove.

You'll find decent enough engine degreasers in Halfords - just make sure you cover up any electrical wires/sockets etc with clingfilm to prevent them getting wet. Use a plastic trim restorer on yer plastic bits.

:)

With a LOT of effort...

or

see here - if you have some spare cash!

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=59850&start=0

:teeth:

Wow that looks sweet!!! I think Im deffo going to get that done!!! Will have to get the more inportant things done first. ill settle for scrubbing first! haha.

What kind of brush would be best to use to scrub off the oxidization? Just a regular nail brush (soft) or a wire brush (hard)??

Cheers

I found autoglym bug and insect remover was great at shifting stubborn grime from the bay, and show shine after brings it up a treat. If you don't fancy wearing your fingers to the bone polishing your plenum, you can use silver high temp paint and rub it in with a cloth, looks good as new :thumbs: