Tein Spring Stiffness

stillracing

Evening boys.

So I'm considering lowering springs for my 350. However, being a motorsport engineer I have had my car on the 4 Post Rig at work (if you're unsure of what a 4PR is: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4147/5014313747_7155f06cf7_o.jpg)

The rig tells me that the OEM spring stiffnesses are:

Front: 93N/mm (530lbs/in in old money)

Rear : 117.5N/mm (671lbs/in in old money)

Now, on Tein's UK website (http://www.tein.co.uk/installation_manual/nissan/Z33_02-.html) they list the S-Tech Lowering Springs (the ones I think people typically go for) as having stiffnesses of:

Front: 386lbs/in

Rear : 403lbs/in

So you can see they are MUCH softer than standard. My question to those who have the springs is what does the car feel like after fitment? I think any driver worth his salt should feel a change - bearing in mind that the lowering will affect load transfer.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

ps. In case there was any doubt, the standard 350z was superb on the 4PR. It scored better mechanical grip ratings than many DTM, GT and Touring Cars...

Hi

I changed mine a week and a bit ago for the Tein S-Tech's they feel fantastic, the ride is not much harder (if at all now they've settled down) than the stock springs, and certainly not harsh, the ride still feels fairly stock it doesn't crash over bumps BUT it's lost a good deal of the roll when transfering weight in corners, feels like it corners flatter if that makes any sense, so far very, very pleased with them.

Not sure where you are, but you're welcome to have a passenger ride in mine if your anywhere near Southampton.

If you are after a set I picked mine up from Camskill for £140 inc postage :thumbs:

I would also say proper coilovers are your best option, I considered lowering springs but then I wouldnt have the adjustment I wanted, i.e. ride height and dampener stiffness. Not entirely sure what the spring rates are on XYZ coilovers (what I have) but would be interested in trying some other ones on the shocks.

• 4 weeks later...