Decats and Y Pipe Flexi's

agentsmith350

Hi Guys ,

Hoping you can give me a bit of advice and help on this one.

At the moment the mesh on my Y pipe has ended up looking like this :

ef4239d5.jpg

I gather this is due to the decats pipes ?

If i were to replace it with another standard y pipe would it happen again ?

What about aftermarket systems with flexi joins ?

Decat pipe? But the rubber looks fine and the wire has rotted by the looks. Weird!

There are a host of aftermarket y pipes depending on your budget.

My guess would be flexys make it easier to fit and will help reduce vibrations.

Decat pipe? But the rubber looks fine and the wire has rotted by the looks. Weird!

There are a host of aftermarket y pipes depending on your budget.

My guess would be flexys make it easier to fit and will help reduce vibrations.

Bit of a coincidence i find this at the same time fumes are pumeling inside the car though, i did wonder what difference the mesh made on the outside but if its manages to burn that away im sure it has no trouble going through the rubber.

There are a lot of threads were people say the nismo Y pipe does the same thing when put together with Decats.

At the moment my prefered option is to replace it with a standard Y pipe , but i cant do that if its going to happen again due to the decat pipes, And dont want to admit defeat and re-fit the Catalic Convertors !

Just buy new flexi's

Would the same thing not happen from the Decats though ?

yup or without sometimes too. Only way around it is to buy the stillen. :)

I was tempted by the invidia dual system but thats got flexi's in too and cant be ran with the stillen Y :/

I wonder if Invidia's material for the flexi's would hold up ....?....

Sorry but what's the thinking that the decats caused this???? Am I missing something???

Im not 100% , But iv read several story's of nismo Y Pipes getting the same problem when fitted with Decats , Iv also read that it may be that because there is no support connecting hte 2 pipes as on the normal cats that it causes excess flex and can break the join.

I dont know this of course it is just what i have read here and elsewhere so am hoping someone will be able to confirm so i can decide what to do , Like i said in the fumes thread decats are the only thing that has changed then this pops up...

Im booked in to a garage tommorow afternoon to get it on a ramp and get a better look/patch it up for now so will see if they can spot anything else , Thanks for the help so far guys. Any more thoughts ???

The nismo ones go because the flexis are fitted under stress. I had mines replaced and it wasnt due to decats.

What do you mean fitted under stress ( sorry if im being a bit thick i havnt had a coffe yet :lol: )

The only thing giving me doubts about that is i cant think of anything else that would have caused it , The car has been in the family from new , done next to no miles and never had as much as an advisory on any M.O.T , Then I come along and fit decats and the flexi join goes a few weeks later .. :blush:

Id be intrested to hear from others as well who have fitted decats , Has anyone not had a Y pipe go with decats on there , and on the flip side of that How many of you have had problems ?

The nismo flexis aren't very long. When I replaced mines the exhaust manufacturer said he put longer ones in to take the stress off of the flexis and decats as when the original nismo exhaust is fitted the flexis are stretched when tightening the system up.

The nismo flexis aren't very long. When I replaced mines the exhaust manufacturer said he put longer ones in to take the stress off of the flexis and decats as when the original nismo exhaust is fitted the flexis are stretched when tightening the system up.

I wonder if the standards are stretched when fitting decats as well .. Didnt notice anything myself but you never know , Weird thing is the other side is like new :wacko:

The cats and Berks have an extra hanger/bracket which takes some of the strain.

Thats what i mean when i say about there being no support on these , I might see about getting a bar welded between these decat pipes in that case.

im getting my decats fitted this weekend and im pretty sure there should be a bracket that bolts to the brace were your original cat use to on the actual decat pipe...surely if it were the decats being the problem it would go from the inside out,not the outside in??my right flexi is ruined but thats because i scrape it on speed bumps (i always go over them the same angle)..could that be your problem??

Im putting a new (ish) HR y pipe with my decats, so if it falls off monday then you might be onto something

im getting my decats fitted this weekend and im pretty sure there should be a bracket that bolts to the brace were your original cat use to on the actual decat pipe...surely if it were the decats being the problem it would go from the inside out,not the outside in??my right flexi is ruined but thats because i scrape it on speed bumps (i always go over them the same angle)..could that be your problem??

Im putting a new (ish) HR y pipe with my decats, so if it falls off monday then you might be onto something

Depends on the manufacturer , HFC's do , havnt seen any full on Decat pipes yet that do but thats beside the point , These and most normal decat pipes dont have the bracket. Im not sure if this would cause the flexi to wear like it has on the picture in such a short space of time though.

I see what you mean about inside out ect :wacko: I think it could be the strain on the flexi like Neil says rather than burning through from the inside. Its not hitting the ground since its towards the top of the flex so has nothing to hit.

Ok , back from the garage and they looked for a leak , Theres a pin hole visible one at the rear backbox's join but shouldnt be causing the smell/fumes.

The split flexis wernt letting anything visible out but since there was nothing else was advised to be replaced , He wreckons its the strain on the flexi join has made it split , the other ones showing signs on strarting to go as well. Couldnt even patch it up for now so am looking at £40 for temp insurance on my old saxo till its sorted.

He said that stainless flexi's would be alot stronger if i were to replace the current ones ect , that the Stillen with no flexis would be good but would mean it would strain all the mounts more as the engine moved.

So really my options are :

Re-Fit Cat's , Buy second had standard flexi - £50 - Whatever i get selling the de-cats

Stillen Y pipe ( Wasted money if i were to go true dual later on ) - £250

Replace with cat back system but possibly risk same happening again with flexi joins ... -- £650-900

:headhurt::headhurt::headhurt::headhurt::headhurt::headhurt::headhurt:

Ok , back from the garage and they looked for a leak , Theres a pin hole visible one at the rear backbox's join but shouldnt be causing the smell/fumes.

The split flexis wernt letting anything visible out but since there was nothing else was advised to be replaced , He wreckons its the strain on the flexi join has made it split , the other ones showing signs on strarting to go as well. Couldnt even patch it up for now so am looking at £40 for temp insurance on my old saxo till its sorted.

He said that stainless flexi's would be alot stronger if i were to replace the current ones ect , that the Stillen with no flexis would be good but would mean it would strain all the mounts more as the engine moved.

So really my options are :

Re-Fit Cat's , Buy second had standard flexi - £50 - Whatever i get selling the de-cats

Stillen Y pipe ( Wasted money if i were to go true dual later on ) - £250

Replace with cat back system but possibly risk same happening again with flexi joins ... -- £650-900

:headhurt::headhurt::headhurt::headhurt::headhurt::headhurt::headhurt:

I have a y-pipe of for 55 quid matey, I will take offers on this :thumbs:

haha mine are like that already..couldnt get them fitted :angry: was one nut we couldnt get too looks like going in on the ramp to get done..werent on the best of surfaces and couldnt get car high enough..didnt want to take K&n typhoon out as heard its pain to install in the first place!!

Grab that y pipe get few brackets welded to decats job done :thumbs: