Toll Roads, would you use them?

JetSet

SCOTLAND LAND OF THE FREE!!

We don't even pay for our toll bridges any more. Tell your goverment to stop being greedy and get on with it.

Would I use a toll road, yes. Do I agree with them, no. I agree to a certain point they are good but if we start a trend towards this it will be pay as you go literally. Some people have to commute day in day out because they work far from home, have freinds or kids who go school there or cant afford a house nearer their work. This would only affect the people at the bottom. Or business as cost will either be absorbed and passed onto us or some may fizzle out as its too expensive to commute or deliver.

Well, you have to pay enter Wales on one of The Severn Bridges, a Whopping £6 these days, but it's free when you cross over into England :lol: .

This government and the previous one as well don't really have any long term plans for transport other than HSR2. They have made some very good long term plans for supplying energy when fossil fuel runs out but there seems to be no master plan for the future of road transport. If using hard shoulders and having private toll roads is all they can come up with but they can find billions to finance HSR2 then you could start thinking that they don't think its worth improving the roads any further. I'm not blaming this particular government, the last few governments have all made excuses not to spend money on roads.

If you look at France, they had a long term plan and now have not only a superb motorway system but an integrated high speed rail network.

Pete

In my hometown of Singapore, we have raised the art of taxing the motorist to a fine art. We have toll gantries everywhere on highways and at the town centre. You certainly pay as you go and this was originally touted as helping to control road congestion. It has of course not done anything of the sort, still get the traffic jams at the same points which get worse each year. This is even though we additionally also have a monthly quota to allow new vehicles registration called the Certificate of Entitlement. At last count getting a 10 year COE was around STG 40,000 :rant: . This is before you can actually have the privilege to buy a car by the way. We also have horrendous taxes on petrol and to make sure you can't nip accross the border where they have cheap petrol, our fuel guages are checked before we can drive over. Be happy, you drive in a relative paradise :thumbs: