Contemplating buying a 350z coming from a s2000

hi guys, im contemplating buying a coupe or a convertible, prob a 03 plate.

now when i get cars i always tune them. What are the 350z likes to tune, im talking basics like air filter, exhaust, remap, possibly gears does the 350z leave much scope.

My old s2000, i had a filter, gears changed and exhaust, and manifold, my old s2000 would pull away from an old collegues350z quite convincely and he wasnt a bad driving from a 1st gear roll, im hoping the 350z would be faster with a few mods.

Finally are newer model more tuned?

Thanks

Bill

All possible, the only thing is the ECU learns any tuning modifications and counter reacts any performance gains. Changing the plenum or adding a plenum spacer is considered to be one tuning mod that may benefit. You can get piggyback ECU's to sort all this out, still plenty of owners change there exhausts and filters though if nothing more than the sound and grin factor :teeth:

:welcome: by the way

hi guys, im contemplating buying a coupe or a convertible, prob a 03 plate.

now when i get cars i always tune them. What are the 350z likes to tune, im talking basics like air filter, exhaust, remap, possibly gears does the 350z leave much scope.

My old s2000, i had a filter, gears changed and exhaust, and manifold, my old s2000 would pull away from an old collegues350z quite convincely and he wasnt a bad driving from a 1st gear roll, im hoping the 350z would be faster with a few mods.

Finally are newer model more tuned?

Thanks

Bill

Welcome.

As Mike says, some tuneable bits but it has a 'clever' ECU on it to negate the effect of any little mods. The main difference with a Zed over an S2000 is you don't have to wring the nuts off it to get going, it pulls from much lower down and it has some grip in the wet. ;)

The newer models are in a slightly higher state of tune (06 model year) with 300bhp, but extra weight means the performance is the same as the previous model.

If you have a few £k to put under the bonnet, it seems that nearer 400bhp is quite attainable. Will you get 320bhp for a few hundred? No.

Hope this helps. :):thumbs:

Also to keep this on thread Welcome.

I used to have an S2000 and I much prefer my Z, its much more progrssive and not so much all or nothing.

Mod wize, unless your going FI, go for Plenum, HF cats and some CI. You can get an ECU remap done these days instead of a piggy back ecu, if you do this then you may as well get your zorst done too. I would also recommend getting yyour brakes and sus upgraded

Ah thanks guys. Yes totally agree you have to rev the nuts off the s2000, the gears helped it lower down though.

Id likely stay with an 03 plate then, and add some bolt ons. I havent got k's to spend, id say more like about 1500 -1750 max! on engine modifications.

I was looking at the convertible but ive got to say its one ugly mofo, the coupe version is lovely though, im contemplating the orange coloured one.

Is sat nav standard?

thanks again

Also to keep this on thread Welcome.

I used to have an S2000 and I much prefer my Z, its much more progrssive and not so much all or nothing.

Mod wize, unless your going FI, go for Plenum, HF cats and some CI. You can get an ECU remap done these days instead of a piggy back ecu, if you do this then you may as well get your zorst done too. I would also recommend getting yyour brakes and sus upgraded

what bhp and torque increase am i looking at with these mods, ive done a bit of research it would likely push the car into the 13.xx secs 1/4mile.

cheers

If you could squeeze 20 to 30 bhp out without adding weight you should break into the 13's

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 296

Weight without Driver (KG) : 1525

Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 197.21

0 - 60 (Secs) : 5.56

0 - 100 (Secs) : 13.38

60 - 100 (Secs) : 7.82

Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.87

Terminal Speed (MPH) : 101.80

Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.77

Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 102.95

You lowest bhp and weight gain would give you the following

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 291

Weight without Driver (KG) : 1538

Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 192.24

0 - 60 (Secs) : 5.68

0 - 100 (Secs) : 13.75

60 - 100 (Secs) : 8.07

Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.99

Terminal Speed (MPH) : 100.86

Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.89

Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 101.99

But you would need to get a mapping done, plus HF cats, plenum, and zorst and maybe you would hit the 20 and if mapped could break the 13's, figures above are a bit hopefull but

• 3 weeks later...

I just switched from an 03 S2000 to a brand new Z. Loved, repeat LOVED the S2000 (until the con rod went at 72K miles destroying the engine), just so much fun. Took me a while to get use to the Z with totally different power curve, like trying to change gear all the time like I used to in the Honda. I'm probably gonna get shot down in flames but the Z just doesn't feel as fast as the Honda (until you look away from the road and at the speedo - eek !), maybe cos it is bouncing off the redline when the Honda's just getting going. It doesn't scream like the S2000. But, I am in Love with the Nissan. They're both brilliant cars in different ways.

The thing i really miss from the Honda is the massive knight rider style rev counter, why don't you get one of those on the Z.

Anyway you asked about tuning - honestly can't be arsed, as it's fast enough as is. If I want to go proper scary quick I just get my Ducati out :-) ..

I just switched from an 03 S2000 to a brand new Z. Loved, repeat LOVED the S2000 (until the con rod went at 72K miles destroying the engine), just so much fun. Took me a while to get use to the Z with totally different power curve, like trying to change gear all the time like I used to in the Honda. I'm probably gonna get shot down in flames but the Z just doesn't feel as fast as the Honda (until you look away from the road and at the speedo - eek !), maybe cos it is bouncing off the redline when the Honda's just getting going. It doesn't scream like the S2000. But, I am in Love with the Nissan. They're both brilliant cars in different ways.

The thing i really miss from the Honda is the massive knight rider style rev counter, why don't you get one of those on the Z.

Anyway you asked about tuning - honestly can't be arsed, as it's fast enough as is. If I want to go proper scary quick I just get my Ducati out :-) ..

Welcome aboard, what colour you go for? .... say sunset go on :thumbs:

You blew up a Vtec! My god, thought they were unbreakable!

Hi and Welcome, Sat Nav does not come as standard it was an optional extra but there may be some 03 with it already on. As far tuning, if you want to mod its worth getting the coupe over the roadster as the 0-60 will vary slightly. Plus IMO coupe looks better. Get the induction kit and exhaust, either Nismo or HKS. As far as remaps go you have to be pretty careful as some companys offer 350z remaps but then end up blowing your engine. So Ive heard. I had a test drive in the S2000 before I bought my Z, and I must say, although it was fun reving the engine, The Z just feels more responsive. :thumbs:

Sorry rmmackfc went for a Kuro, sunset a bit too "lively" for me.

The S2000 was a lease car, thrased every day for 3 years - they were all a bit gobsmacked at Aylesbury Honda when it was towed in as they had not seen a dead one before. When I collected the "repaired" one with a brand new engine I got to see the old engine and it had a hole in the crank casing about the same size as a footprint.

So, the "urban myth" about v-tec being indestructable is exactly that. Maybe i'm just one in a million. The considered verdict from the dealer was that the con rod was weak due to a manufacturing defect, not bad that is lasted 72000 before keeling over really. The mad thins is that the car went back to the lease co 2 months after the repair and then onto auction - 78K on the clock and 6k on the engine...

Someone got a bargain !

Kuro's nice...almost as nice as Sunset :p

I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with the Z, I almost bought a S2000, but the salesmas was a complete tool, so went for the test drive in the 350Z first... I was hooked. It was also cheaper to insure, which basically sealed the deal.

What I will say is that the Honda's paint quality is better, used to have civic type-r.

It'd be interesting to know if there have been any other failures on a Vtec...you're right though, someone did get a good deal!

I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with the Z, I almost bought a S2000, but the salesmas was a complete tool, so went for the test drive in the 350Z first... I was hooked.

Had a similar experience. The S2000 was nice, but Zed made me grin from ear to ear.... :teeth:

Really was engine changed under warrenty, as thought most dealers warrenty run out after 3 years or after 60,000 miles. Thats a pretty good deal you got there mate. :thumbs:

Was a lease car from Honda Europe finance so it was either "fix it or get no money from me cos my car is dead" - i was paying them to maintain it also, so they were in a weak position. I think they have 3 yr unlimited on Honda's any way ???