Estate agents...

coldel

Glad you got it sorted Col!

I to was supprised at estate agents, i had a viewing in the same appartment block i live in atm and the first agents i went to view with turned up for the appointment late and then didn't ring me and when i rang them they said he'd just been in and viewed it, didn't ring me and just blanked me when he walked past me :/

The agent we use at the minute is equally as useless. Took ages sorting the premise out, didn't do any precheck (we needed to move in asap) so had to do them ourselves. the guy who lived there before still had his towels etc on rails!

So we eventually get in, 3 months later an inspection is required, fine i book a day off work, they say anytime between 9am and 3pm. Ok i'll stay in and play xbox all day and wait (not a problem). Gets to 4 pm, i ring them up and ask when they'll be around, they say oh sorry our cars have broken down and we're short staffed so couldn't attend, she said the car broke down at 8am. So they could have informed me at 9am that they wern't attending and i could have enjoyed the day!

They got a good email a few days later olong the lines of "god knows how your number 1 in the north east"

Had our inspection the other day (first time i've rented didn't know what to expect. They wanted to use our parking space instead of paying, can't my flatmate has the card to get in/out for cars (they didn't know if we had parking before this) then when they're in thay ask if anything is wrong, i say no bar a few things, she writes it down and go's! Could ahve been done over the phone 3 bloody months ago!!!

/rantover

Companies like this make me want to set up my own estate agents, offering excellent customer service for landlords/sellers/buyers/tenants. I have been a letting agent for 5 years and not a single complaint from either a tenant or landlord. In fact quite the opposite, they like getting me drunk :lol:. Knowing I have made someone happy is great job satisfaction and have usually gone out of my way to make sure the tenant/landlord is happy! Its very difficult for honest agents to get instructions as they do not fill the landlord/seller with same bullsh*t as agents such as foxtons etc.

My wifes cousins husband (as convoluted as it sounds!) is an estate agent, they live down in Cornwall though so he is struggling - a top bloke and totally straight down the line with people - I always say to him move to London and set up your own you would take this lot of jokers to the cleaners they really havent a clue on what is good customer service, really, utterly clueless.

I also came across another bizarre aspect creeping into the rental market, long lets. One estate agent, Snellers, says come view a place in St Margarets but the landlord wants a longer than average contract, I say thats fine as long as we can have a break clause and am told its fine. So we take hours out of our day, go look at it, say we will have it. Landlord wants 5 YEARS contract with no notice period and no break clause. Bear in mind the rent is £1800 per month...what on earth are these people thinking...in a world of their own :doh:

There are so many agents down London it is very difficult unless you have clients already. I work in South West London, Balham/Clapham and there are so many estate agents it is unbelievable. In live in Earlsfield and in the space of half a mile there must be like 15 agents! And now these cowboy agents are offering 0% commission to the landlord, the good quality agents cannot compete. Plus the rental market is very good right now, landlords do not even need agents, they can rent the property themselves and save money.

5 years? That is unbelievable. Good luck to him :thumbs:

Landlords are being mislead by agents saying they can get £100/£200 per week extra on rent which is pushing rents up like crazy. Last year we rented a property for £330 per week, this year I rented the same property for £400 per week :headhurt:. People will pay because they have no choice, everyone needs somewhere to live and no one can buy at the moment.