Soft top roof sticking when opening

rmgthatsme

Have done a search but could not find an answer that seems to address my problem. My 04 JDM roadster top has been working fine and I retract the roof almost daily unless its raining here in Hong Kong where we have no cold weather issues in the winter.

A couple of days ago, when retracting the roof, it stuck at the stage where the hinged metal cover rises up and the soft top is more or less vertical and has already 1/2 folded back on itself. After moving it back and forwards a couple of times, it worked again. Paying closer attention now to the retracting motion, it seems that at the stage when the soft top actually retracts from the 1/2 folded position into the compartment under the cover, there is a moment in the motion when it is not smooth, seems quite jerky as the hood hinge "snaps back" before it fully retracts into the compartment. The jerky motion is from the soft top not the metal compartment cover. The whole soft top retraction motion is very smooth except atthis point just past the vertical when it is sort of "upside down" and the 1/2 fold action before it goes into the compartment that is very jerky. Is this likely to be a lubrication issue (but all the other motions/actions are very smooth) or is it some alignment problem? As in the UK, the Nissan dealer here milks its customers so I would be glad if anyone can point me in the direction of what to look for/how to diy fix this. I am concerned with the torrential rain we get here in spring that a failure to close the top would leave me with a mobile swimming pool :snorkel: and damage the delicate soft top motors. Any pointers gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks!

Have a look in the warranty claims section. There is a thread which talks about a number of roof issues.

What you are talking about has a tsb for it which discusses the oiling of the relevant components if memory serves.

The rocking of the switch at the point where it sticks as you have described is the advised temporary measure.

Fairly normal. Mine does the same occasionally when the weather is colder. Nissan recommend you dont put the hood down if its less than 8 degrees (or something like that). You can make the hood go back up a fraction, then down and that seems to work. Lubing it as per the tsb can help.

Yes had a look at the TSB's posted on an american website as they have a convertible section. Didn't seem to apply to my case. In any case, as mentioned in my post, I'm in Hong Kong and the weather here almost never gets down below 10 C. It worked smooth as anything last night again, the temperature is back now in the 20's again and will only rise from here onwards toward summer. Raining cats and dogs here though at the mo so no chance to check the mechanism this morning on the way to work.

Any suggestions on lubricant to use? Genuine Nissan Window Regulator Grease Part number 999MP-WRG00P is recommended in the TSB but will just standard silicon spray lubricant do the job as well? What do you use to lubricate the hinges and slider bars etc.on your roadsters?

Thanks

Ive not got around to lubing mine, but its on the list for this weekend if the weather is good enough (its been snowing here). I`ll be using just normal silicon spray.

One thing I read about when I was researching the roadster is that there are these big elastic band strap things on the underside of the hood which help pull the hood back. Apparently they can loose their elasticicity over time causing a similar problem. I think there was a recall or you can buy new bands which resolve the problem. However, they are not easy to fit.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback. I will have a go with some spray silicone lube this weekend myself. Doubt I can get the Italian spray stuff here locally. Top seems to be working like a dream again, smooth as silk so can only imagine it was the temperature but am surprised as it never gets really cold here.

Don't want to mess with the 2 elastic bands as the rivets will be difficult to get out of the struts and it would drive me mad to have little bits rolling around in the struts every time I corner :lol: If I needed to I would just get a seamstress to do some additional elastic velcro pieces for me but as said alls well for the moment.

Agreed eBay link a rip off but sells to Asia, WLMG only charged £5.70 but the postage to HK might cost a few quid!

That shocked me as I was expecting more from Nissan.

Keep the seals lubed up as the cost of replacing them is quite frankly hideous!

Cheers,

BK

Agreed eBay link a rip off but sells to Asia, WLMG only charged £5.70 but the postage to HK might cost a few quid!

Cheers,

BK

Which seals?

Is the stuff you bought simply a spray type silicone lube i.e. the thin non-viscous stuff or is it a spray gel type which I see mentioned on the US forums?

+ 1 on the question on seals...what seals?

Cheers

Cheers,

BK